Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, January 07, 2010

A RARITY AT PEA ISLAND

People were very excited to learn that ONE white pelican had been sighted on the ponds at the Pea Island Refuge. Imagine the hub-bub when more than 10 were sighted!!!

And I didn't realize that there is more difference between white pelicans and brown pelicans than just the color! For one thing, brown pelicans dive for their food. The white ones do not. Not only that, it appears that they "herd' the fish into a circle then scoop them up!

Dan and I saw this activity more than once; a circle of about 8-10 white pelicans formed. They started closing the circle, making it smaller and smaller...then they all started scooping up what we can only assume was fish!!

So, here are the only shots I was able to get (none of them circling though!!);

white pelicans



white pelicans

3 comments:

  1. location, location, location
    WoW, and you seem to have it all.
    I envy where you live. N Central Wi ain't bad but I sure could handle the water and it's activity you have been blessed with...and the lighthouses? awesome or is it awesomer in yooper country?...my sis, I believe, is a troll in the lower p of MI, or downstate...she also is a diplomat..lol
    have a great year
    Blessings Be Yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!
    We saw both the brown ones and the white ones in Florida.
    Like I said before, I love them..they fascinate me and I think they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dar, thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower. I'm still partial to Michigan lighthouses, especially da U.P ones!!! :-) I love the photo of the cabin! Is that home for you?


    Retired One...sometime you will have to explain to me, over a box of wine, what it is that you love so much about the pelicans. The wine will help me understand!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive