Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, January 29, 2010

THE RAIN, THE PARK AND OTHER THINGS

In the winter, there are many beautiful scenes. The snow can change a rather simple setting into a fairy land setting. The branches on white pine trees become heavy with snow, pine cones are covered, even little inconspicuous seeds on weeds can be turned into a thing of beauty.

When the ponds are transformed into ice skating rinks and the snow on the ground develops a crust, these can be changed a bit further by snow and wind.

The snow blows across these frozen surfaces in what I call hems of lace, creating lazy shaped S’s as the snow skims along the surface. It becomes one long line of lazy S’s, only to be followed by another and another…till the wind subsides.

I didn’t realize till last night that rain can do this along the surface of a lake. And while it is mesmerizing to gaze at, it is kind of scary.

We experienced the “out-skirts” of two nor’easters while we were in N. Carolina, but last night we experienced our first Texas thunderstorm.

While it was still daylight, it was possible to view this occurrence on the lake surface across from our campsite. The rain pelted the ground and sounded like gunfire hitting our 5th wheel. The wind was wild, the sky was dark and lightening was off in the distance. This was expected to go on till 7 p.m….it started about 3 p.m….it got dark around 6:00 p.m. The thunderstorm watch was called off at 7 p.m. but I’m not sure what the Weather Wizards called the weather that continued on after 7 p.m. It seemed to me to be the exact same thing we’d been having for the last several hours. I wasn’t sure if I preferred being able to look out the windows and try to see between the sheets of rain or if I preferred not to know what was going on “out there”.

Northwest of us received snow and the temps had dropped dramatically “up there” throughout the afternoon and evening. We were still at 50 degrees at midnight and are down to 40 degrees this morning. Some areas are expected to receive freezing rain. It almost reminds me of Michigan weather; wait 5 minutes and it’ll change.

And, truth be known, this is probably all my fault. I finally managed to get my hair cut yesterday. It usually turns cold when either one of us gets a hair cut or when Dan trims his beard back.


(TWO BTW'S; who sang the title of the post?? 2nd, I didn't mean to scare off anyone who normally emails me when I asked to limit the size of your emails to KB and no MB size emails. Please continue to email, but just don't send the great big attachments, ok? Thanks!!)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15 AM

    "The Rain, the Park and Other Things" by the Cowsills

    Yes, I had to look it up. Not really my kind of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Cowsills....
    :-}
    I was wondering if you were getting scary weather there, because the news channels are talking about some pretty awful stuff going on in Texas and south of us.
    We actually aren't getting much of anything but cold the last few days.
    Storms always causes me a lot of anxiety...I barely sleep in them. I can't imagine being in a camper and enduring them...I'd be hanging on to a cellphone, a lantern and be up and dressed by the door the entire night. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here in Michigan, we are having night after night of subzero wind chills and lots of lake effect...yeayyy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous, yep! You got it!!!

    Retired One, I had all my worldy possessions packed up and on the couch in case the weather got bad/worse. My worldy possessions are my camera, computer and purse!

    tdecolumna, your "name" intrigues me! I'll have to check it out! I don't miss the Michigan weather at all!! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, It is snowing here, in North Carolina! But I don't have plan to go to the Refuge this weekend. A little bit curious about how the Refuge looks like now....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mono miao, Good to hear from you!!! I wondered how things were going and if you'd been back out to the refuge! Keep warm!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive