Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

NOT LIKE I REMEMBERED

3 days ago, I had my first cup of coffee in over two weeks. I was expecting that warm, delicious taste that I thought I had missed...but guess what? I really didn't get all that excited about that first sip, nor the 2nd or third! It just didn't taste like I THOUGHT that it would!!

I only had one cup that day, and one the next. Nothing yesterday and one cup today...so far so good....but it just doesn't taste the same. Maybe my ground coffee got old???

It is cold here today. Cold and damp. Two nights ago, as you may recall, we were worried about severe thunderstorms and high winds. Last night, it got down to about 26 and didn't get above 32 today. Yep, cold and damp. And now that my hair is short, my head is cold. But you know I'm not a fashion plate; I've put on my stocking cap! I look just like Dan now, well, except for the beard, the bald spot, and his choice of shoes.

I do have to confess that the other night when the wind was howling and the rain was coming in sideways in sheets, I did get my worldly possessions together in case we felt the need to escape and try to get to the truck. MY worldly possessions consisted of my camera, my computer and my purse. Yep, I had them handy where I could grab them all up in one big swoop.

We thought we would venture to Corsicanna today; there is a Gander Mountain there. But tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and sunshine so we may take off for GM tomorrow. I don't think we'd be able to do much work here tomorrow since the water level in the lake is still so high. We found out we missed a rodeo in Corsicanna today...nothing better than men in faded jeans...darn it all.

One thing we know for sure; when we head off to do this again next fall/winter, we will have a different cell phone plan. The problem is we don't HAVE a plan. We have a Go Phone....which was all we really needed before. Since Dan and I are always together, it wasn't necessary to go with a two year commitment and get a real plan. If you aren't familiar with the Go Phone, you purchase dollar amounts; $25, $50, $60, $75 and $100. There aren't any fees except for your call of 25 cents per minute...and you get charged regardless of whether YOU call someone on their cell phone or if someone calls you from THEIR cell phone. Then there is the deal of trying to make toll free calls and being on hold forever...that adds up in a hurry. If it weren't for things like dealing with the problem I had with someone using my credit card (a toll free # but still was a lengthy conversation that we paid for), or calling AT&T about them charging us for two lines on our business phone when we had them turn one line off while we are gone (that took about 15 minutes to solve), and anything that pertains to our business while we are away...it adds up very quickly.

We bought a very cheap bird feeder and some cheap bird seed to put on a tree branch. It has been nasty weather since we put it up so I don't know if we've had any visitors yet or not. I bought one of those "socks" with thistle seed in it but haven't put it out yet due to the rain. I wanted to find some berry suet for the mockingbirds but couldn't find any of that. We have a couple of squirrels hanging around that Dan is going to get some ear corn for and lots of rabbits. Haven't seen any deer yet or wild boar (which is fine by me!!). Lots of coots, sea gulls, herons, cormorants, and one white pelican in the lake.

Guess that is about all for now! Hope you all, or should I say "yawl" are staying warm and dry!

7 comments:

  1. Sure hope your weather improves soon...can't wait to see more photos of that area.
    I am leaving tomorrow morning for Rochester Minnesota...a friend of mine is starting chemo and is alone, so I am going there to be with her for one week....hopefully they have wifi so I can still check your blog from there! I prepublished blogposts for when I am gone, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yucky weather there too, I see. It has been bitter here, like MINUS 20's so count your blessings. I would love 32 right now.
    You might get a Tracfone...you buy the minutes for them too, up front., but there are no other charges. But, to keep the same number, you need to be sure to add more minutes before the expiration date...and the unused minutes roll over...that's all we have ever used while on the road or in TX and have only been out of range in the highest hills, ONCE. Just a thought.
    Also, about the thistle sock feeder, if you have squirrels, they will chew a hole in it in a flash...happy bird-watching to you.
    Bless Your Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you can get a Tracfone at Walmart, Dollar Gereral, Kmart,etc...you get the picture...they're cheap too and the best little phone. Good Luck
    Dar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I certainly hope you went to the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana. If not, go back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. check out verizon cell phone service for they bought out alltel
    and they very good coverage in the UP,that is what we use and it works very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retired One, what a good friend you are to make this trip and be with her. I wish you well. And just from the time we spent together, I know your friend will be pleased to have you there for support.

    Dar, thanks for the suggestion but the track phone is pretty much like the go phone as far as expenses go. We'll have to bite the bullet before we leave next fall. and it most likely will be AT&T since nothing else works where we live (at least not very well).

    es, hope you email me and tell me what it is we need to get at that bakery! We haven't left yet!!

    Tractor Guy, thanks for your idea too. We did get the Verizon air card so I can get online, but Verizon does not work at our campground at home and does not work at Carter's lake where we might be next fall/winter. It seems it is a catch 22.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just sent ya email!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive