Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

LIFE AT BARDWELL LAKE

Where did I leave off??? I don’t know for sure but this is where I will pick up!

We have had gorgeous weather!!! AND we’ve been able to sleep with the bedroom windows open at night!! It does get a little cool by morning, but it sure feels good!

Today it is raining but we did get some of our work done before it started. We are considered Ambassadors and are also responsible for park maintenance from our site to the east end of the park (picking up trash, checking campsites after people check out). An Ambassador is basically a “meeter and a greeter”.

The campsites at this park, which is High View Park, are very spacious. The getting into the site is a little tricky but you have plenty of space between you and the next campsite. The lake is across the road from us so we have a nice view. The sunrises are beautiful…no photos of them because I’ve still been in my night gown at the time they were the best viewing! This park doesn’t have nearly as many trees as the other 3 Army Corp parks that are on this lake….but it is still pretty.

Dan is in 7th heaven due to having several TV stations to choose from! About 5 of the 26 are Spanish speaking stations but he still has a lot to check out. And there is a NOAA weather station for the area so that makes it nice (although we do still rely on the NOAA weather radio we purchased while in N. Carolina.) And of course, I’m in 7th heaven due to having an air card!!! I hated to spend the money on it but I’m glad that we did. I have had 4 emails that are reservation forms from our online reservation system. If I wasn’t able to get online I wouldn’t have been able to get to those!

Ennis is a quaint little town and there is a lot of history here. We like to try to find the Historical Markers but it seems they are usually located in an area that you can’t park! There are supposed to be 5 markers in Ennis but we’ve only found one so far….and no place to park. Ennis, in its early youth, was one of the first railroad stations/hubs for Texas. The downtown buildings still have that quaint old charm. I hope to get some photos of those eventually.

Each campsite has a fire pit, but NO ONE SELLS CAMPFIRE WOOD!!! At least no one that anyone is telling us about! One of the other parks has a lot of downed wood piled up and you can go scrounge through it to try to find wood for a campfire. A lot of it is TOO big for the campfire rings and we didn’t bring a BIG ax! (Obviously they wouldn’t want guests running a chainsaw; just like WE don’t allow it in our park)

There isn’t the wildlife here as there was in N. Carolina and I don’t think we will see a lot of unusual or unique birds. There are a LOT of mockingbirds and they are not flighty like the ones at Pea Island. I think they must get hand outs from campers. We may try a feeder. Lots of rabbits in the park and lots of hawks. As far as lake critters, lots of cormorants, a small variety of ducks, seagulls, and herons. For fishing; catfish, bass, bluegills are the norm.

About a month ago, this park was flooded and actually had to close for about 3 weeks. You can still see where the water level reached on the ground within the park. At the beach, the water came clear up the hill and basically “buried” the covered picnic tables. Guests who were camped on the lake side of the park could launch their boat FROM their campsite instead of driving down to the boat launch. One end of the park was just about totally under water.

We finally had to break down and go do laundry this morning. Dan and I got spoiled at Alligator River where we were camped…having 2 washers and 2 dryers any time we wanted to do laundry. You know by now that we are not prejudicial people, so I hope no one takes the following the wrong way….we felt out of place at the Laundromat. I truly think we were the only ones there who didn’t speak Spanish/Mexican. While we were folding clothes, Dan said he figured out why I wanted to go to that particular Laundromat (it is one of two in town). I said “Because you thought you might actually be able to trade me off for that big TV?” (If you’ve read my previous posts, you read about my dream of Dan trading me off to a gold toothed Mexican)

The photo that I hope to put with this post was taken towards evening. I thought for sure I’d gotten a good a “flight shot” of the hawk, but it still ended up blurry. He wasn’t concerned about me in the least!

Catch up with ya later!

hawk eyes


hawk eyes

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Cathy - great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures...wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive