Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, January 01, 2010

IF IT WEREN'T FOR BAD LUCK...

Well, if we hadn't already decided that we planned on heading for Texas around January 20th instead of the end of January, tonight's trip home might have clinched it for us.

If you've been following us on our volunteering expedition here at the refuge, you know that we have had nothing but bad luck with the government trucks we've been issued.

Tonight, we were heading back from our day at the Pea Island Visitor Center. We had just passed the driveway to the Bodie Lighthouse. We were driving about 50 mph, and there was probably 5 cars/trucks behind us. OUT OF THE BLUE, something ran out of the bushes from the other side of the road, almost heading directly at us. There was nothing we could do. We hit whatever it was. I'm not implying that this terrible thing has anything to do with the government truck(s); it was an accident but it was extremely upsetting. Yes, Dan and I hunt and yes, we eat wild game. But this is very different than going out and hunting something on purpose.

I could see it in the rear view mirror as it finally came to a stop on the road. Everyone behind us managed to miss it. Dan and I went up the road a bit further so we could turn around and go back. We still didn't know if we'd hit a large pet, a red wolf (although we could NOT imagine one being there!). Dan got out to pull the creature off the road and told me it was a bobcat. Neither one of us have seen a bobcat that big. I called Jay, the refuge LEO to see if there was anything we were supposed to do (even though we were OFF the refuge) other than pull it off the road. He said if we were fine, it was OK.

This was very upsetting for both of us. We came down here partially to view the wildlife, not have it run into and under our government vehicle. I think I pretty much cried most of the way home. Such a beautiful animal.

The refuge is going to try to go get the cat tomorrow and hope that between now and then it doesn't become food for some other animal. IF it is still in good shape, it can be "stuffed" and used in their office with other stuffed creatures on display. I HOPE that is what happens.

5 comments:

  1. How AWFUL!
    It must have been a sickening THUD to hear under your wheels.
    Neat to see a Bobcat in person, but NOT that way.
    Maybe they will be able to use it as display in some way to educate others, which will be ok..but I can see how it would make you upset.
    You guys just aren't having very much luck on this trip, and I feel bad for you. I know you had such high hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cathy, My heart sang for you when I read this. I am so sorry.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retired one...it was a really big thud. Dan and I are convinced that was not a bobcat. I swear it reminded me of a young cougar with a short tail. Hopefully things will improve on our way to Texas and IN Texas! Pretty cold there too!

    Joanna, thanks for caring. I don't deal well with things like this; I'll be the first to admit it and I didn't want to make Dan feel any worse so I tried hard to not let it show. But he knows me too well....If it had been a spider or a snake, I woouldn't feel badly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy, I hope you had a very happy new year day. However, it seems not. :( But don't think too much about the accident. This is always the issue how human beings can live in our own way but not disturb the lives of wildlife. Sometimes we can't stop it happening since human beings built the highway, drive the powerful metal thing.... You have been doing great things to help them and are admirable. My parents (I told them your stories) hope they can do what you are doing after retire.

    You already decided to leave on Jan. 20? Hope I will see you again and say goodbye before that. Enjoy the rest days here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mono Miao...I enjoyed your photos on your flick'r page, especially your mountain shots. HOW did you get up on top of that tower (the one where you are photographing your feet)??? Made my knees weak to see that!! I'm glad you are sharing our stories with your family and hope that it works out that your parents are able to do this too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive