Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

HERE WE ARE!! AND THERE IS STILL MISTLETOE!

I HAVE HIGH SPEED WIFI AT OUR CAMPSITE!!!! I AM IN THE COMFORTS OF MY CAMPER, ON MY COUCH WITH HIGH SPEED WIRELESS!!!! I'm going so fast that my fingers can't keep up on the keyboard!!!

Anyway, after several Xanax and a box of wine, we made it around Atlanta and are now in a campground/marina at Alatoona Lake near Acworth, Georgia. BTW, I AM just kidding about the box of wine and the Xanax, but it sounded like a plan!! I just don't deal well with 10 lanes of traffic. Thank goodness Dan is calm about it. I had a death grip on the door handle and I'd about pushed my toes through my shoes using the invisible brakes on my side of the truck. Everyone but us seemed to drive like there was no tomorrow!!!

Anyway, THANKS to Cindy at Alligator River and all that info she gave us about mistletoe, that is all I see when I look at trees anymore!! And there is even a Georgia state park called Mistletoe State Park!!! I never would have given those "clumps" of green things in the trees a second thought but now I see it in my sleep!!!

It has been so cold here that the park has had frozen water lines (that burst)which has made the paved roads like ice rinks in some places. Dan couldn't even get into the original campsite we were assigned and sat on the ice spinning the truck tires!!! It is expected to be down to 20 here tonight...but 54 tomorrow where we are headed.

Tomorrow we head up to Carters Lake to meet with the Army Corp officer about a possible position there next fall/winter. It is supposed to be a beautiful day!!! Yep, camera is going with me! It is about 90 minutes north of here. Friday we check out of here and begin our trek towards Texas. We hope to be there on Monday.

Dan and I have stayed at this lake before but at a Georgia State Park called Red Top Mountain. The first time we were there was probably in the mid 90's. The lake level was good. The next time we were there the lake level was down considerably (I think that may have been about 2003). THE LAKE LEVEL NOW IS HORRIBLE. I may try to get some photos of it before we leave but let me put it this way...It ain't purdy.

I hope to get caught up on other blogs while we are here and I may post a few photos if time allows before we leave here on Friday...and begin the route around Atlanta to get back on 20 W. Gives me nightmares...

OH! Speaking of nightmares...last night I was awakened (boy that doesn't sound like proper grammar) by this horrid honking, squawking noise. I could not for the life of me figure out what could be making that awful racket out in the woods or in the field. THEN I remembered; we were NOT at Alligator River anymore and we were not even CLOSE to the woods. The racket was a small flock of tame farm type geese who were probably freezing their honkers off in the pond at the campground we were in.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy

    Your pictures are amazing, especially the close-ups of the birds. Would you mind telling me what kind of camera that you use?

    I happened across your blog several months ago and am enjoying it very much. You seem to have an amazing life.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you mean to say that DAN needed the Xanax in order to make the trip with your gripping your fingers tightly on the door handle? Come on, Cathy, you can tell us! I am glad I've passed on my obsession with mistletoe and wanted to share the latest one I've passed on to third-graders at Kitty Hawk Elementary. Ilex vomitoria.....Yaupon Holly.....they love it...look it up if you haven't already seen it while at the refuges. As the Latin name implies, the holly causes vomiting. What better plant to introduce to a bunch of third-graders who also love scat? Happy journeys!!
    cindy from OBX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad for you that you have a faster internet! It is so frustrating not to have it when you get used to faster service, and if photos are involved, it is AWFUL not to have it.
    I know what you mean about Atlanta, that was the worst part of our trip to Florida,and we weren't hauling a camper! I am sure after this winter, you won't want to even GET into a camper for a while. :-} I would be tired of having no room to roam in after about 2 weeks. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, first, thanks for finding me! And glad you are enjoying the photos. I have a simple Fuji Fine Pix; it is pretty much as good as an SLR except I can't change lenses on it. I really like it but if I ever get rich and famous and feel like I want to learn something new, I will invest in a better SLR digital.

    Cindy, YOU NUT!!!! HA!!! Dan would prefer a beer anyday! Nope, it was totally me on the Xanax trip! Dan is a real trooper about traveling with a person who has lost their edge!!! He said he can't understand someone who loves roller coasters and loves to fly who can't relax in heavy traffic anymore! Even I use to take our other 5th wheel, a couple of friends and head for Cedar Point without Dan! Not anymore!!

    Retired One....It is the worst!! Driving around Atlanta I mean! And when I think about heading home, I get an instant gut ache. I'm not ready at all....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for faster internet! And look luck with a possible position for next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see the update! Hope you have more fun on the way, although it is still cold everywhere....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for WiFi! Hard to imagine a few years ago I didn't even know what that was :-)

    And if you don't like Atlanta's traffic, skip Los Angeles. It's the worst.

    Safe travels.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive