Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

CAPE HATTERAS LIGHTHOUSE

Now that you know what those photos are of, here's a bit of info about the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse which is located out of the quaint town of Buxton.

It is the tallest brick lighthouse in the country standing at 208 feet. The lighthouse serves as a warning to mariners of submerged and shifting sandbars which extend almost twenty miles off Cape Hatteras into the ocean. They are known as the Diamond Shoals.

The lighthouse I showed you photos of was completed in 1870 and is the 2nd of 3 that have been constructed in Buxton. The first Cape Hatteras lighthouse was built in 1803. It was "only" 90' tall and built of sandstone. It was modified to a height of 150' in 1854.

There is a lot of history with this lighthouse including it's importance during the Civil War! I had no idea!!! Shell damage during the war and structural damage made it necessary to replace it in 1870. The original lighthouse was demolished in 1871. The ruins could still be seen till 1980 when a powerful storm washed the last traces of it away.

In 1999 the lighthouse was moved 1/2 mile inland to save it from the advancing Atlantic Ocean (the blocks with the inscriptions is where the lighthouse sat before being moved). It was cut from that base of blocks, hydraulically lifted onto steel beams and traveled along tracks to where it is now. It took 23 days of at least 8 hours per day to move it. Sometimes it traveled a whole 10' (ten feet) per day.

It now is as far away from the ocean as it was when it was originally constructed in 1870. I was told or I read it that the experts figure in another 100 years, IF THAT LONG, it will be perilously close to the ocean again and will need to be moved. I will be surprised if that whole stretch of land isn't under water by then!

During the warm months, you can climb this lighthouse and there is a fee to do so. I don't know what the fee is but it doesn't matter...I don't think I could make the climb if THEY paid ME to do it! It is a TALLLLLLL one!

3 comments:

  1. It was a GORGEOUS one too! I would LOVE to climb it and take photos from the top. I bet the view is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired One...I would love to climb it too but I don't think my knees would hold out!!! I don't do well with pie shaped steps with my depth perception either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took the climb this past summer to the top (the picture is actually us at the top) and the views are spectacular. It is quite a workout, I won't lie. But it is worth the trip. And very WINDY!!

    -- Dan
    Outer Banks Revealed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive