Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

What do these things NOT remind you of?

OK, so what DO these things NOT remind you of; kids on bicycles, leaves on trees, farmers running beans, people flying kites high over the dunes, grass that could be mowed if you really had an urge to do so. Do they NOT remind you of Christmas???

It took a while, but it dawned on me the other day when I saw Christmas trees for sale that Christmas is NOT that far away! HOW could I possibly connect the above mentioned things with Christmas??? It doesn’t FEEL like Christmas but it is beginning to LOOK like Christmas!

People are starting to decorate a LOT. And there is a little bitty post office in Mann’s Harbor (I really need to take a picture of it) that is getting all strung up with lights. A young man was busy on a ladder doing that today. Lots of houses are getting decorated. It just doesn’t seem right…no cold weather and no snow in the forecast. This will be an unusual Christmas for Dan and me! Honestly though, I’m not going to miss the snow!

But Dan and I ARE participating in the big Christmas parade this Saturday (weather permitting) in Manteo. Dan will be driving the truck that will be pulling the National Wildlife Refuge float. Cindy came up with the theme of “DREAMING OF A WILD CHRISTMAS” for the float. She has such a good imagination…wait till she gets to be MY age! Lyrics have been written to replace Bing Crosby’s version of WHITE Christmas to WILD Christmas. One of the officers will record the song and it will be playing, if all goes as planned, for the duration of the parade.

I think there are 3 of us that are going to be dressed up in “critter costumes”…the blue goose critter will be laying in the bed that will be on the float and the rest of us will be the visions in his dreams of wild critters of Christmas. Dan said that THIS part was not supposed to get back to anyone he knows in Newberry, but you know me…DAN will be wearing a fish “costume” on his head!! Yes, there will be photos…one way or the other, there WILL be photos! I’m not sure if I’m going to be an alligator, sea turtle and a wolf; it depends which one I can fit into and which one I can wear my shoes with.

So that is one of the things Dan and I have had some involvement in lately. Yesterday, we had our first day working at the Pea Island Visitor Center. It was very easy work…the west end of the visitor center has 3 huge windows with HUGE spotting scopes. This all looked out over one of the HUGE ponds where there were hundreds of tundra swans, ducks, herons, eagles snatching fish from the pond, snowy egrets, geese, a few snow geese, pelicans…and I don’t know what all. Occasionally I actually had to make a sale of a t-shirt, or earrings, or books.

I have a lot of photos I want to share but it is so hard with this intermittent dial up; sometimes there is a burst of speed at almost 52 kbps, then the next time I can be down to 14. And MANY of my photos have been taken through the windshield, like the sunset I HOPE to include with this post. So many things I want to photograph but there is no place to pull off and get the shot!! Thank GOODNESS for digital!

I may try to get some more shots up tomorrow so please check back!!



sunset over the ocean



sunset over the ocean


sunset over the ocean

2 comments:

  1. I bet it will be a little bit weird spending Christmas not bundled up and up to your knees in snow! Weird but good!

    Your float sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..how beautiful.
    I would have my nose pressed against the glass for sure...and be snapping a thousand photos!
    I know what you mean about Xmas..going to Florida will be interesting to see the decorations on the palm trees. I remember when we spent New Year's Eve at an outside party on the beach in Mexico..it was so strange to think of how cold it was at the same time in the U.P...but we loved it there, being able to dance outside to celebrate the New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive