Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

OF SWANS AND SNOWMOBILING

You may wonder what swans and snowmobiling have in common...not a darn thing. I just couldn't think of anything else to call it.

Any-hoo, Retired One posted a comment about the swan photos (thanks for the compliments by the way) and asked if I used a tripod. I didn't have a tripod; didn't even bring it with us. BUT, what I DID have in my favor was a very, VERY strong wind! All birds were having an issue "getting going". The wind worked to my favor THAT way but not in the way of keeping ME steady. I was so very pleased the photos weren't blurry because I was swaying in the breeze!

The day I shot these was a day Dan and I were able to get into areas of the Pea Island refuge that is off limits to everyone else. We had to go around an lubricate all the hinges, locks, padlocks, binoculars and things like that. Hard to explain how this all works, but it was fun getting into the impoundements and driving on top of the dikes seeing things that aren't normally seen.

Now about snowmobiling; since being here, Dan and I have seen every PBS program there is to be seen in this neck of the woods. Most of them seem to pertain to cooking in other parts of the world...some very ODD other parts of the world. Places I've never heard of and most likely won't eat their food fare. However, we turned on the TV last night and there was a snowmobiling show. AND it was filmed in Seney, Michigan at one of the Vet rides that Don and Diane Reed from the Fox River Motel put together and host every winter! It showed the various activities that takes place during the day, right down to the hog roast in the evening. From that show, it went to another hot spot in Canada. So that was kind of a surprise. Between all of us, Dan IS missing the snow and grooming and I AM missing the trail reporting and being involved. (I had at least 20 emails last week asking ME for a trail report!! I haven't been involved since last April and tried so hard to let everyone know).

The bear was out back of the cabin this morning but it was TOO far back and was not light enough for a photo. I shouldn't refer to it as THE bear because this one is smaller than the ones we'd been seeing. ONE of the days, before we leave for Texas, the timing WILL be right and I WILL get that photo!!

4 comments:

  1. It is funny how we miss snow when we don't have to walk through it, plow it, drive through it or shovel it? We received 16 inches of snow Wed.-Friday here and we're seeing snowmobiles which we don't normally see.

    Thanks for the thoughts and the photo. Looking forward to seeing some pics of that bear(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBW, yesterday a.m. our hose froze and today it is 62 degrees. And raining sideways again. ARRGGHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cathy, Snow is a funny thing-- You don't miss it until it gone-- and then you only miss it once in a while :-)

    I'm heading out of town for the week and won't have an internet connection. I'll catch up with you when I get back.

    Have a great week.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How we feel about the weather is so strange isn't it? On Saturday, Florida finally warmed up to 80 and sunny...and then we flew back to the U.P. early on Sunday...when we landed it was 18 degrees and we had 18 inches of snow on the ground...my brother had snowblowed our driveway for us (thank goodness!). It just chilled me to the bone. Now today, it is snowing more and still cold but we are slowllllly getting adjusted to seeing it again. It was like we stepped off a spaceship to another planet. It is nice to have the snow for Xmas though..I didn't like the damp cold in the 50's and 60's in Florida, it tends to chill my bones more in a different way than pure snow does. So now the question will be, do we hang Xmas lights outside or not? (only 11 days to go to Xmas)..and no kids coming home, so we may skip it.
    When are you leaving for Texas?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive