Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'M STILL HERE!!

Everything is fine; we've just been busy! This will be a short post for now.

We had 3 full days at the Pea Island Visitor's Center yesterday. One day, visitors came in and reported a "large, dead fish on the shore", so I called the appropriate person and then had to go see for myself (naturally, nosy me).

Across the road from the Visitor Center are the dunes, so you have to climb up the dunes and down the other side to the ocean and shore. I wasn't sure what the dead creature was. It reminded me of a small whale, but calves should be bigger (and I figured gone from the area) by now. I have found out since that it is a dwarf sperm whale and they only get to be about 10 feet long. It has been taken in for an autopsy.

And when I DO get a chance to get online, I have had lots and lots of emails from snowmobilers asking me when I'm going to start doing the trail reports or why haven't I updated, etc. I've tried to email all of them back and remind them that I'm not involved, so please spread the I don't do the trail reports (not any of them) anymore.

So that is it for now. This is our first day off in a while so we are playing catch up with laundry, shopping and the like. We had HOPED to go to Cape Hatteras and on to Ocracoke tomorrow, but there is an 80% chance of rain. The next good day doesn't look to be till Wednesday...fortunately we are off that day!!

Later!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow...did you get a picture of the dead sperm whale? It would be interesting (although morbid) ha
    I had to turn in my computer to a guru...it crashed on me (memory was full and like idiots we tried to restore it ourselves and I think we lost a lot of data). I had an external drive and I am just PRAYING that the pictures aren't all lost. I had stored some on disk but not all of them, so I may have lost some. Sigh. When will I learn?
    He promised to show me how to store future photos in a more secure place and I will sit with him after I pay him big bucks to learn how to be smarter. ha
    Hang in there...you sure have been cursed with a ton of rain!!! It is better here today and giving us a break from that super cold weather we were having...supposed to get up to almost 30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired One, yep I did take one photo of the whale and wasn't sure if I should post it. It isn't gross but it is sad. Good luck with your computer issues. I've gotten so I use Picassa faithfully to back my photos up; so very easy to do. And instead of using the back up feature, I use the "gift CD" feature. Just a thought for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put them on an external hard drive but couldn't find out how to retrieve them. I did put quite a few on gift cd's too, so they ALL aren't lost...but the computer guy said the CD's lose quality after 4 years. Dang, too because I have a stack of them. But I hadn't saved all of them onto CD's yet. I hope he can find them hidden on the external drive. I think I will look into Picasa's back up, how much does it cost per year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Cathy, I know that you are no longer doing the trail reports for Newberry, and I will miss them, the were the best trail reports for the Newberry area, but someone is still posting them on the web site that I always looked at for your reports, and I'm sure you still have the link to the site but here it is if you want to post it somewhere or pass it along to people asking about your trail reports???

    Talk to you later on Jerry C. Pittsburgh, Pa

    Oh yea one more thing, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!!!!!!

    http://www.trailreport.com/cgi-bin/snowmobiletr.pl?scripted=northcountry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive