Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, November 01, 2009

SAND, SUN, SURF BUT NO HORSES





It is Saturday afternoon. We spent most of the day in Corolla, N. Carolina…well, maybe MOST of the time was spent driving to get there but it was worth the trip!

Yesterday we went to the Elizabethan Gardens and Fort Raleigh. I hope to also have photos of the gardens to share with you…if this all goes according to plan! Photos may be in another post by themselves, so you may have to look for more posts!

The gardens are wonderful, but it is the wrong time of year for everything to be in blossom. I can only imagine what they look like during the summer months.

One of the two reasons we wanted to go to Corolla was to see the wild horses on the beach. The other reason was the Corolla Lighthouse. You will notice photos of the lighthouse but not horses.

You can take tours to HOPEFULLY see the wild horses, but you can ALSO drive your 4 wheel drive vehicle on the “beach” as long as you obey the rules. And one of the rules is if you see any horses you are not to make contact with them, molest them or worry them in any way. We had hopes of actually seeing these free roaming horses running in the surf, but that was not to be. Other rules included driving and parking in the middle of the beach, not near the dunes or at the shoreline. The sand is hard so 4 WD really was not needed. I’m sure there are times when you DO need it…especially if you don’t adhere to the rules.

Others on the beach were surf fishermen and women, a couple of surfers and people just sitting in lawn chairs enjoying the beautiful day. I got such enjoyment out of watching the piping plovers! Talk about quick little creatures!!! You had to be fast to get a photo of them for they were always running someplace; as if they had great purpose in life and knew precisely where they were going!

The weather continues to be fantastic, although it does get a bit muggy during the night. I did not bring enough lightweight blouses or shirts.

Monday is the beginning of the big Wings over Water festival. Dan and I have been told that we will be very busy all next week, which is fine with us. It sounds like something very exciting to be working at and involved with. At one point we were told we would be working at Pea Island refuge and at another point we were told we’d be working in Manteo, so we’re not sure where we will be. I know if we don’t get home till after 5 p.m. we will both be wonderfully tired and most likely won’t be updating my blog till my eyes get some rest!

With me being on dial up and doing everything I can to protect my computer, it takes a bit of doing to get it all over to the cabin (which isn’t that far from our RV) and get everything set up. I take my surge protector with me which I plug my computer in. My surge protector also has an in and an out for the telephone hookup. It just is time consuming to get it “all hooked up”. There isn’t a table for me to sit at so I have to hold the laptop on my lap (hence the name,huh??!!). I have a lot of photos I want to post but I don’t know if my patience with dial up will allow me to get them all uploaded or not!

AND I WANT TO CHECK IN WITH THE BLOGGERS THAT I TRY TO FOLLOW!!! I haven’t had a chance to do that in a LONG time. Hopefully Sunday morning will be my time to get it all taken care of!

Take care!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that lighthouse...and the weeping willow tree beside it! Did you get to go inside the lighthouse?
    The plover is cute too...we saw loads of them in Florida last year when we were down there.
    Can't wait to see the rest of your photos and hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired One..it was $7. per person to "climb to the top" or go in...nope didn't go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive