Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, November 13, 2009

IT JUST KEEPS COMING!

We stopped at the refuge "shop" (maintenance area) today and Bruce told us that there has been about 12" of rain in just our area so far....and it just keeps coming. Yards along Rt 64 are flooded, the river is swollen and the ground is soggy. Cindy told us that she tried to get to Pea Island this a.m. and the Sheriff said there is about 2' of sand over the road plus it is flooded. We didn't realize it had rained THAT much until we got out of our "home spot".

Tomorrow, weather permitting, we're going to check the Creef Cut Trail for blown over trees, imbs across the trail and bear damage. I'm betting that the board walk is under the river instead of over it. And we already know that a bear has torn apart the brand new brochure rack that we put up about 3 days ago. If that isn't bad enough, the bear or bears, remove the brochures and throw them on the ground. It gets costly, I'm sure. We're both anxious to get out and do something so hope tomorrow is at least just cloudy and not rainy.

The other trail and canoe launch, down the road from us, IS under water so I don't know if we'll do anything there tomorrow or not. Time will tell but the water is not going down quickly.

Cindy told me of a place I could get used paperback books for 50 cents a piece so we went there. Due to the parking situation there, we couldn't spend much time but I did find 4 books. I have to make them last longer than the 10 that I brought with me!

2 comments:

  1. It is too bad that you can't get out and do some of the things you thought you would be doing because of the rain.
    And there is nothing worse than being in an RV for days on end in the rain...you start getting a bit stir crazy!
    The hunters here are disappointed about no snow! We have been having 50's and some 60's and they say it will probably last at least another week. But no rain, so at least we aren't experiencing the horrors that your area is getting!
    Hang in there...it can't last much longer, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan is going nuts which in turn is driving me nuts. We both want to "earn our keep" here and so far we don't feel like we are pulling our weight. Hopefullly that will change soon.

    We'd heard that da U.P. was having an Indian Summer! Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

    I wish I could get on your blog more often, but I'm finding that pages with photos take forever to load with the dial up so I have to pick and choose as to who/whom I'm going to visit when I'm online.

    thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive