Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

FIINALLY HOMESICK

OK, I admit it, I became homesick this morning.

And you will never guess what caused it...remember the song by Gordon Lightfoot, THE WRECK OF THE EDMOND FITZGERALD??? It was on the radio this morning, and for the first time SINCE the wreck, I had NOT remembered that important date of November 10th. I always commemorate that date in my heart and mind. I have no reason to, other than my love for the Great Lakes, my respect for shipping crews and love forLake Superior.

For my readers not familiar with the Fitz, you can go to
http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/fitz.phtml

All kinds of info there, and for the song, you can go to;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U219P_zs7w


You really need to listen to the song; it is a haunting song. Some people will understand how this song can affect a person to the point of making them homesick...or even feeling guilty that you forgot the anniversary date.

6 comments:

  1. Homesickness is very hard to deal with because there is only one cure-to get home but it also really affects everything you do. It does get better with time. Possibly the January weather forecast for lots of snow and very cold temps will help you adjust to that North Carolina winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holidays coming probably aren't helping either.
    It is a haunting song, that is for sure.
    Don't worry, as soon as you see me blog about the huge snowstorms, below zero temps. and shoveling you will be glad you went on your adventure.
    But we are going to Florida for a few weeks after Thanksgiving, so you won't hear me complain too much until after that. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...That song puts a lump in my throat every time I hear it. I had a brother and Uncle working the shipyrards in Sturgeon Bay. So it always reminds me of them and visiting there. I also have a huge love for "The Great Lakes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always homesick around the holidays too. hang in there.

    And I won't be around much this week since I'm cooking but I wanted to be sure to wish you a very Happy thanksgiving to you and your family.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. SBW, It isn't like I have a desire to BE home, but it is the "connection" to all things U.P, I guess.

    RETIRED ONE...I think part of it is being away from my daughter for the first time for T'giving in SEVERAL years. But NO, I won't miss the snow!! Enjoy your trip!!

    CHER'SHOTS, YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN!!! Interesting that you had/have relatives "in the business".

    JOANNA, Thanks!!! It'll pass...as long as I don't hear that song again right away! Enjoy your holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. {hugs] for you! I start to get homesick about one week after being away. I am sure you will begin to feel connections down south too. I can mail you some snow when it comes....;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive