Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, November 15, 2009

BUNS OF STEEL

Why is it a man can say “I need to lose a few pounds”, turn around and eat a 7 course meal, take a 5 minute walk and actually lose those few pounds?? I can look at a maraschino cherry out of the corner of my eye and put on at least a pound (I guess it counts if that cherry is on top of a huge hot fudge Sunday and that my aim with a spoon is pretty good, even out of the corner of my eye).

I brought the bathroom scales with me to placate Dan. He watches his weight and as we have established from previous posts, so do I…remember?? I keep it right where I can see it. He has been eating more than I have and we’ve both been getting the same amount of exercise, but I’ll be damned if he hasn’t lost about 4 pounds!!! Maybe I have too, but I only get on the scales about twice a year…when I have needed to go to the Dr. The rest of the year, I go by how my jeans fit. I will admit that with hope against hope, they DO seem to be a little looser. And Dan drinks pop; maybe 3-6 bottles of Mountain Dew per week, but I don’t even do that! Being able to take off weight just because you say you need to has to be a “guy thing”.

One area that we both are having great success with is our buns…and that is due to the steps in our 5th wheel. There are two steps up into the bedroom and bathroom area of the 5th wheel. The first step is about a 14” step up, the 2nd is about 8 or 10”. Then there are the outdoor steps. The first one is about 7 inches off the ground, but the next one, I’m guessing, is about 14” and the top one is about another 12 inches then there is the little step up into the 5th wheel which is about 7”. I know that doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, the 90 steps down to the observation deck of the Tahquamenon Falls is a piece of cake compared to these steps several times a day (a word to those who haven’t taken the time to go to the deck at the Falls…those 90 steps DOWN turn into 190 coming back up!). So we have stair steppers without the expense of going out and purchasing exercise equipment.

Yesterday, it stopped raining long enough for Dan and I to go to the Creef Cut trail and check it out for storm and bear damage. Fortunately there isn’t much damage; a few tree limbs we will need to get out of the way once we can get to a limb saw and the boardwalk had been under water in a few places. At one point it was barely 2” above the waterline…I kept waiting for alligators or snapping turtles to hurl themselves at our ankles. We were going to go to the other trail, but it started raining again so we didn’t see much sense in checking it out…that plus Dan had recently spent a couple of hours washing the truck and the other trail is at the end of what is now a very muddy road.

Our next door camping neighbor had hoped he and his wife would be able to return to Pea Island today where they are supposed to be working and camping. He said he has been told that the road has buckled due to all the water and sand so it could be a while before those repairs are completed. They are from New Jersey and I believe he said they live along the shoreline there so they most likely are more at home at Pea Island than out here in the “wilds” behind an electric fence. They did get up very early yesterday morning and went for a ride to see if they could spot any bears. He told us that not too far from here, there were two bears swimming across the ditch to get to the field of harvested beans. I’m glad they got to see that.

Dan just came back from putting the laundry in the dryer and got the bino’s out. There is a good size bear at the end of the bean field behind the cabin. My lens on my camera wouldn’t even begin to do this big guy justice. With the naked eye, he or she looks like a large black area but with the bino’s we can get a good look at him or her.

Well, it is time to go up into the bedroom and work off my buns, er I mean make the bed!!

4 comments:

  1. It is good to know you have an exercise machine in your camper. How is camping life anyway?
    Sounds like so much activity going on where you are. Do you like it so far?
    We have had rather mild, dry weather here. Not complaining though! A year ago winter started and never stopped until what May? I'm sure you won't miss the snow!
    Glad to hear things are going well!
    Take care!
    Hugs from MI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....you guys are definitely in Bear Land. The Bear Ranch by Newberry has nothing compared to what you are seeing on a regular basis.
    We are gearing up for Thanksgiving here. My oldest daughter, husband and grandkids are coming which makes us very happy!
    After TG, we are going to get ready and drive down to Tampa area for a few weeks to see our other daughter, so I am excited about that too.
    Keep reporting on your adventures and I'll be checking those buns of steel on both of you when you get back to the U.P. Tell Dan I wanna be able to bounce quarters off his hindquarters when we see him next. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew your camper would double as some added exercise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DVM's Wife...SO good to hear from you!! You, Tim and the kids are constantly in our thoughts. A lady that I have met that lives in Nags Head has recently taken her hubby to Dukes University and speaks very highly of it. Anyway, other than the bed and the chairs, we are enjoying camping or our home away from home. Please keep in touch!! I try to get to your blog as often as I can!

    Retired One...We have even seen a bobcat! He was gone in an instant. I hope you have a wonderful T'giving and a trip to Florida!! You've been showing us some excellent shots so I'm sure you'll great photos from your trip too!

    Ashley, I know!!! I figured just making the bed would be a work out but just getting TOO the bed is the warm up to that job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive