Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A BRAND NEW BOOK!!!

Volunteers at the banquet the other evening received a 40% discount coupon for purchases made at the Pea Island Visitor Center. Dan and I hadn't had a lot of time to spend at the center yet, but when we were there, we admired several bird books.

See, one thing that I forgot to pack was our National Geographic North American Bird book...and I haven't heard the end of it. And before I forget, thanks to ES for identifying the bird that was looking for food. Dan and I knew it was some kind of a hawk, but we weren't sure which one....all I knew was it was a fast bird!

Today we were to spend on the shore of the Pea Island Refuge performing clean up duties along with several students from Cape Hatteras, but the weather was nasty so it was called off. That gave Dan and I some time to go back to the Visitor Center and make a hard choice of which book to take. National Geographic has a new book out and we seriously considered getting that one, but we ended up with SMITHSONIAN FIELD GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA. We haven't gotten tooo in depth yet, but what we DO like about it is that it contains REAL PHOTOS!! Not drawings.

I'm short of time tonight, so that is all for now!

1 comment:

  1. I love me a good bird book, too. We use the Audobon one...I really like it because it goes by color and type of bird so you can flip to the right section pretty quick to find out what you are seeing. The only bad part is that it doesn't always show both the male and the female of a species...and as you know, they can look SO different.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive