Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, October 09, 2009

WORDS FOR YOU TO LIVE BY

Alice in Wonderland posted a comment yesterday and reminded me that even though we have beautiful fall colors right now, Christmas and all that goes with it weather-wise is only 9 weeks away. I just had to remind all of you too.

And I will now remind you that in 10 days, Dan and I will be leaving here in hopes of avoiding winter and all that goes with that part of living in “da U.P”!! We will be standing on the sandy beaches of the Outer Banks, ducking and dodging kite flyers, watching ocean fishermen at the docks, wiping the sand from our feet prior to entering our home on wheels, listening to the red wolves howl at night…oh, and of course, then there is our day jobs there. And there is always a possibility that hurricane season might not be completely over but at least there should be some words that will be out of OUR vocabulary for the next 6 months. You Michiganders know the ones, right? OH, YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN THOSE WORDS??? Well, PA-LEEZ let me refresh your memory!!!

LAKE EFFECT SNOW, SNOW SQUALLS, NEAR WHITE OUT CONDITIONS, BLIZZARD WARNINGS, SYSTEM SNOW, 28 INCHES OF SNOW EXPECTED OVER NIGHT, WIND CHILL INDEX, SHOVELS, SNOWBLOWERS, SNOWRAKES, SNOWPLOWS, FROSTBITE. We Yoopers know a few more words, but I don’t want to spoil all of your fun! YOU can add some in the comment section…now, be polite and don’t use cuss words!!

And to get you all in the mood, I am including some photos for ya!!

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa



For my readers who might not be from our area or even our country, let me explain that a popular winter sport is snowmobiling and that person in the 2nd photo, known as SledHead, is hot and heavy into the sport of snowmobiling. He and I use to correspond by email (I believe he has his own website now dedicated to the sport) and he sent me this photo last year when I was still responsible for updating the snowmobile trail reports. He took this photo to show how anxious HE was for winter to begin!! I didn't want you thinking I'd posed in my snowmobile gear on the beach to show you that I was anxious for snow!!! HA!!!

BTW, it is expected to be 83 degrees in Manteo, N. Carolina today!!! This morning on OUR thermometer, we have 34! 10 more days!!!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 AM

    I AM from North Carolina and we are coming up to northern Michigan this winter to snowmobile for our very first time!! I've been reading your trail reports for a couple of years and that is what made us decide to try it!

    We are near Raleigh and it is going to be warm today!!

    Beth and Butch Morley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you won't allow me to cuss, I am speechless. HA
    I am so happy for you, really. You will be having a wonderful experience there, I am sure.
    Just remember and say some prayers for us as you start seeing the U.P. forecasts. And BTW, did you see that we might get snow here TOMORROW??? I am sure Mother Nature has a sense of humor and wants to send you a proper U.P. "send off". (*wink*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! TEN more days!!!! Get out that sunscreen!

    I left you something on my blog today.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya. I ain't but a few hours from you and winters here are so cold. Not nessesarily a ton of snow but dampness, humidity(yes in winter!), mud, ice, crappy, crappy weather.

    Have fun in the sun =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S.
    Oh, and you inspired me to go to a full column format so my pictures will be even bigger.
    I liked yours so much, I tried it and loved it. So thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ehhhh....snow.....

    Enjoy your time away! Wow, only 10 days left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the snow pictures! I don't mind winter until about February - then I'm ready for it to go! I have a feeling Michigan is going to have a rough winter season this year! Look forward to hearing about your adventures in NC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley, thinking of all the things to do yet to pack the 5th wheel is boggling my mind!!!

    Shelley, I use to LOVE winter, but with this hive thing I've got going on, just the past couple of days have reminded me of how badly the cold affects me. I've been hives from "stem to stern" the past two days. 83 degrees sounds good to me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive