Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WE'RE STILL HERE!!!


So much has happened since I last wrote!

Currently, I am sitting at the table, with my morning coffee trying to get caught up on “stuff”.

I finally have a dial tone here where we are camping but the number that Lighthouse (my ISP in the Soo) gave me actually rings into the Visitor Center on Pea Island!! THAT doesn’t do me any good! So I’ve got to try to get that straightened out before I can really be connected more often.

If all goes as planned today, I will be able to get on wifi at the Fire Management Unit of Alligator River. It is about 7 miles from us and is where we pick up our government vehicle on the days we work.

There is so much to share with you, but I don’t think this post will be the post to start sharing. But a few of the “highlights” so far are;

We were going to take part in watching over the last nest of unhatched loggerhead turtles. One has to sit there in the elements from about 6 p.m. to a bit after midnight. With my hive problem, we didn’t think it would be a good idea for me to be out along the ocean when there has been so much foul weather in that area. Chris, the gal who is the wildlife biologist, says she doesn’t think this nest is going to hatch due to the fact it IS so late and there is no sound of activity within the eggs. She has a listening device and isn’t hearing anything. The day we were at Pea Island (I think was Monday??), one of the interns found a dead adult loggerhead turtle on the beach about ¼ mile from the office so he had to retrieve it so they can do an autopsy. Even though it was dead, it was a beautiful creature and had live barnacles on its back. The day we were there was a nasty, WINDY day; spitting rain and mist. BUT it was also beautiful to see the Atlantic waves crashing on the beach, the pelicans wheeling about the sky and the sounds of it all. Abbey, our boss, told us that many times they have to bulldoze the sand that blows from the dunes onto the roadway because it will actually block the paved road…and this IS a main road (only two lanes). So where us Michiganders worry about plowing snow, they worry about plowing sand! And this can be a year around thing!

From where Dan and I are at in Alligator River to the refuge in Pea Island is maybe a distance of 30-40 miles but it is like being worlds apart! Our area is wild, overgrown and I suppose to some maybe a bit on the dangerous side. It is beautiful to Dan and I because of our love of nature and trees. There are grasses taller than 6’, trees we’ve never seen and have yet to identify, weeds that are beautiful, birds we’ve never heard before now (and so far haven’t seen…very elusive!!). The woods are substantial and thick, the wetlands lavish. Then you drive east of here towards Nags Head and you see sand, marsh grasses, go a bit south and it is even more of the “sea side scene”…and these two places really are not that far apart!

I haven’t had a chance to get a lot of shots to share with you because we have been so busy with work and the unpredictable weather hasn’t made me anxious to take my camera with me, but I DO have a few shots I hope I can get posted with this. IF I am able to get them up, I want you to know what they are!

You hopefully will see a bunch of “homes”; this is the place I THINK I told you about earlier where there don’t seem to be garages, but boat slips instead. The one of our 5th wheel makes it look like we LIVE in the tall grasses; we don’t. We have a nice sized MOWED yard but this is what is outside of our yard and outside the electric fence…and there ARE alligators in the ditches as well as Alligator River. I really didn’t think there WERE alligators here but there are. And the last shot I HOPE to get up is of a Kingfisher. I KNOW it is blurry because I had to take it going down the road at a speed of about 10 mph. Every time we stopped the truck he would fly off.

OH!! And another note about the deer season; here they TRAIN BEAGLES to run deer. Where we are from, if a beagle is chasing down deer that dog is most likely to get shot! The “hunters” can sometimes be seen, sitting alongside the road, IN A LAWN CHAIR, a cooler with lunch and pop at their side and their gun across their lap…waiting for the dogs to chase a deer out of the bush, the swamp, the thick brush. Abbey said deer hunting is NOT that popular here due to how hard it is to get a deer and how small the deer are.

Please keep checking back!!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. "Our area is wild, overgrown and I suppose to some maybe a bit on the dangerous side." Eee...be careful! :)

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty bird!
    Sounds like you are acclimating pretty well, I will be interested in hearing more.
    Our snow is gone here and we had two days of sun and high 50's, which has been a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I'm glad to see your
    post. I am looking forward to hearing more about how everything is going. Sounds like a different world there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To all that posted comments; it IS a different world here, at least compared to where we all are from! And I'm anxious to share with you and my friends and family. I hope to have time today to check out my blogger friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive