Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

ONE OF LIFE'S FEATHERED PLEASURES

It snowed yesterday; snowed and blowed and leaves were swirling in the wind.

And the cute little Juncos arrived yesterday, pecking at the grass looking for sunflower seeds. We only see them in the spring (usually still snow on the ground in places) and again this time of year. They look so soft. They are one of life's feathered pleasures (you were thinking along the lines of something different, right??? HA!)

But along with the fact that the Juncos are back is also the fact that we are no longer filling the feeders. I feel badly about that, but there is no sense us feeding the birds any longer since we won't be here through the winter to make sure they are fed and have fresh, warm water (heater in the bowl of water). The chickadees and nuthatches are scolding us, so we try not to sit near the picture window in the dining room...not till they've gone to bed anyway.

And only one other thing that I will feel badly about as far as being gone this winter is not having Thanksgiving with my daughter and her friend. It will be very strange not fixing a 20 pound turkey with all the trimmings and having my "little girl" here for 3 days.

So, today is the day we blow out the campground water lines. We considered doing it yesterday but the Weather Weanie assured us that it would "only" be down to 31 overnight. Yesterday a.m. it was 27. THIS morning it is 28 (and it always gets colder as it gets closer to daylight). We have prepared what few remaining campers we have that the water will be shut off to the campsites this afternoon and that cable TV will be turned off tomorrow. It is supposed to snow and rain again today so it will be a bitter, cold job standing out there with the air compressor hooked up to a water outlet, blowing the water back to the "plumbing pit". It takes about 30-40 minutes to do it properly, then we have to go around and make sure all the faucets are open, try to drain the water out of the vacuum breakers on each faucet, take the towers apart at the dump station. It is just a time consuming job...and that is with the hopes that with the cold temps again that nothing froze and broke over night.

A couple of days ago, we set up most of the picnic tables. We left a few down in case we get more campers...which we did get more campers....which was a surprise considering the weather!

Tuesday I take Bubba, the truck, in to get it detailed. Newberry Motors will have him for the day. They will have a loaner vehicle for me so I can get my normal Tuesday errands done. Kevin, the owner of Newberry Motors, is good about that. So a plug for Newberry Motors.

So many little details and little things I may forget...like yesterday, I saw a large rose colored button sealed in a little plastic bag. I recognized the button as being from my new polar fleece coat I got last fall. It made me think that maybe I better take that button with us, but what good would that button do me without my sewing box?? So I dug that out of the closet and put it with the growing pile of things to pack in the 5th wheel. I'm not a seamstress by any means; I staple and tape a lot.

And this time of day is really the only time I have where I can't do anything else to prepare to go! Dan is still sleeping and it is still dark (AND COLD!!) outside, so here I am trying to catch up with all of you. And I'm hoping someone can explain something to me...I have asked this question before...I only have 40 Yooper Yarn followers, at least those who are willing to admit they read my blog, BUT I have between 75-300 visitors per day..why are the rest of you so shy??? You don't have to provide a picture; you can remain a shadow. You don't have to give out personal information. DON'T BE SO DARN SHY...

Catch up with ya later!!!

10 comments:

  1. Cathy, I noticed a little bird pecking around in the yard as we were hustling to leave for Window Rock yesterday ... realized it was a junco, harbinger of winter! We love the little birds, too, and will enjoy them, but it's a reminder. Snow on the peaks and morning temps right at freezing or below. It's a-coming!

    Feel free to swing by SW Colorado and visit as you wend your way toward warmer climes. tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juncos are the sure sign of winter's arrival! Seems like it's too early for it to be snowing! We are going to our cabin next weekend in Gaylord - I'm hoping to see the fall colors at its peak. Have fun getting ready for your big trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have to do a lot to get ready to go...but it sounds like you are on top of it!
    You know, blogger readers are funny...I have 175 followers but only a core of about 35 or 40 regularly comment on it. I think people are so busy that you may have a LOT of readers, but several will not sign up to be a Follower and several will not comment. They just take the time to flip thru and read, but it takes a lot of time to regularly comment.
    I just "unfollowed" a bunch of blogs that I used to read because I felt guilty not being able to read them on a regular basis, plus sometimes they change and the subject matter just doesn't attract me the way they used to.
    Don't worry..you have a fun, quality blog that your true readers will stick with.
    I am really looking forward to hear about your upcoming adventure. I bet that will bring you even more readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I couldn't relate to the things that you put down in this post 'coz I live in a tropical country (India) where the weather now, is neither hot nor cold and with occasional drizzles at times. We don't experience fall in our country. All we have are extreme summer from mid February to the end of April and mid May, heavy rains from June to mid August and moderately cold winter from mid November to almost the end of January. The other months are neither too cold nor too hot just like we are having it now.

    But you did made me sit near those windows and smell the two pound turkey by sharing this with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please turn on the heat we are coming up 4-wheeling Tuesday. We have a cabin off the Fordney Tower road, maybe we should bring the snowmobiles. Always want to stop in and say "HI" but never have the time. We went by in Aug. and you were out splitting wood. If you are going away why do you need the wood?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom and Sandy, hey! Ya never know! We might be out that way sometime! We looked at a position in Idaho, but it was the wrong time of year!! Keep posting those scenic photos!!

    Shelley, it was snowing like crazy while we were out blowing out the water lines and juncos were every where!!! Hope you have a good trip to Gaylord!!

    Retired one...I know what ya mean about following blogs and people read blogs. It is a busy world! I KNOW a lot of my readers are sled heads (snowmobilers) who use to read my trail reports but they are shy guys and gals!

    Ekanthapadhikan, so we DO have the smell of roasted turkey in common!! There is nothing better than Thanksgiving dinner with all that goes with it! I'm glad you shared info about your country and the weather. Thanks.

    Daner, you may NEED your sleds!!! A couple of campers went by headed south this a.m. and there was about 2" of snow still on top of the RV!! They came from the north, so hard telling where they had been; could have been the Falls or the Mouth of the Two Hearted. The wood splitting is for campfires. Lot of work for little return!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O' burrrr. We recently moved to NC from Mi. My husband is from Boyne Country. My FIL always said Mi. has 9 moths of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.

    Glad I found you. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SNOW! Did you say SNOW!

    It won't be long until your are snowLESS :-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. AmyK, welcome to Yooper Yarns! What part of N. Carolina did you move to?

    Joanna, Yep, snow! I use to get excited about snow because that meant winter business. But now, instead of looking at it as white gold, I look at it as a four letter word!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy,
    I'm one of those who's a "read only" on your blog (same with Retired One and several other UP sites). I like to see whats going on in this fair penninsula of ours and your blog is very entertaining with your campground stories. The basis of my blog is quilting and embroidery and I tend to only comment and be read by peers in that venue. Doesn't mean that my Blog reader reflects that though, but theres only so much time to devote... thats why I keep my reins in. Did want to let you know that your blog is in my reader. PS. Enjoy your adventure this winter. This yooper will be living vicariously through you, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive