1. CALL AT&T TO DISCONNECT THE 2ND PHONE LINE. I was going to disconnect BOTH lines and save even more while we are gone, but AT&T cannot guarantee that we would have the same phone number when we turned it back on in 6 months. Since our all of our business advertising has THAT number on it, they kind of have us where they want us…but on the other hand there is a very strong possibility that number would still be available. WHO CAN TAKE THAT CHANCE!!! ??? Thanks a lot AT&T!
2. SWITCH THE ANSWERING MACHINE FROM THE 2ND PHONE LINE TO THE FIRST PHONE LINE. Heck, as long as I have to pay for the first line, might as well make the most of it and leave the answering machine on…even though no one will be able to leave a message. I will use the Announcement Only setting!
3. CHANGE THE ANSWERING MACHINE TO THE ANNOUNCEMENT ONLY. And make sure to switch it to the first line that we will be paying for.
4. MAKE SURE TO HAVE CHANGED THE EMAIL VACATION RESPONDER MESSAGE FOR THE NORTHCOUNTRYCAMPGROUND@GMAIL.COM ADDRESS. Already took care of this one.
5. IF BC & BS OF MICHIGAN BILL HAS NOT ARRIVED BY FRIDAY, SEND THEM A CHECK ANYWAY. Have you ever known anyone to be anxious to send Blue Cross a check?? Can’t take any chances here! In fact, I found out that we can pay up to 6 months ahead so we’ll be doing that in November.
6. GO TO THE PO AND GET SIGNED UP FOR THE PRIORITY MAIL FORWARDING SERVICE FOR ADDRESSES OF BOTH PLACES WE WILL BE THIS WINTER AND PUT MAIL ON HOLD FROM APRIL 1 TILL WE RETURN. The PO will forward our mail once per week, on a Wednesday by priority mail at a cost of $13.95 weekly…this almost uses up the money we’re saving by having the 2nd phone line disconnected! OH, and there is a $15.00 application fee to do this and since we have to turn in two forms (one for Manteo, N.C and the other for Ennis, Texas) we pay that fee twice.
7. CONTACT OUR ISP TO HAVE WILD BLUE TURNED OFF WHILE WE ARE GONE. Well, that sounds fairly straight forward, but it isn’t. If I want to keep my “spot in the sky” I have to pay them $10.00 per month for WB to keep that open. If I want to be able to use my Lighthouse account at all while we are gone (which I may have to use dial up at times), that is another $20.00. So, in total I will be saving $19.95 per month. I guess that is better than paying full price and not being here.
8. PAY 4TH QUARTER USE TAX AND ROOM TAX WHICH CONSISTS OF THE FIRST 17 DAYS OF OCTOBER. FILE YEAR END REPORT FOR THAT. Scroll down for bitch session on paying quarterly taxes.
9. TAKE DESK TOP COMPUTER, MONITOR, LASER PRINTER CARTRIDGE, CREDIT CARD TERMINAL, REMAINING 30 POUNDS OF SUNFLOWER SEED, 10 BAGS OF FROZEN BUTTERNUT SQUASH TO FRIEND. I know, it is an odd combination, but no sense letting the stuff go to waste.
10. GIVE ALL THE KEYS TO THE PERSON WHO WILL BE WATCHING OVER THINGS. He has to be able to get in!! He will feel like a jailor with all the keys he will have.
11. WHEN I PACK THE FIFTH WHEEL, REMEMBER TO TAKE ALL IMPORTANT FILES, ROLEDEX …BASICALLY TAKE THE OFFICE WITH ME. I have mentally packed this stuff and THINK I know where it will go without being in the way but still be easy to get to. Time will tell!!
12. GET AS MUCH TAX INFO TO THE ACCOUNTANT AS POSSIBLE. PRAY YOU’VE PAID ENOUGH IN EACH QUARTER SO THERE WON’T BE A BIG SURPRISE AT THE END OF THE YEAR…SHOOT, STILL GOTTA PAY THIS QUARTER WHICH TAKES IN FROM SEPTEMBER 1 TO WHEN WE CLOSE ON OCTOBER 17TH. QUESTION FOR THE IRS AND THE STATE OF MICHIGAN; WHY ARE YOUR QUARTERS SPACED LIKE THEY ARE?? IT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE TO ME. 1ST QUARTER I UNDERSTAND. THAT IS FROM JANUARY 1 TO THE END OF MARCH AND DUE BY APRIL 15TH. 2ND QUARTER IS FROM APRIL 1 TO THE END OF MAY AND DUE JUNE 15TH. 3RD QUARTER IS FROM JUNE 1 TO THE END OF AUGUST AND IS DUE SEPTEMBER 15TH. 4TH QUARTER IS FROM SEPTEMBER 1 TO THE END OF DECEMBER AND DUE JANUARY 15TH. THESE QUARTERS ARE NOT QUARTERS!! ROOM AND USE TAXES, ON THE OTHER HAND, ARE QUARTERS…DUE APRIL, DUE JULY, DUE OCTOBER AND THE LAST QUARTER DUE IN JANUARY. I DON’T GET IT!
Ah, yes, things are coming together!! Slowly getting it all in order!!
BTW, while we were blowing out the water lines in the campground yesterday, it was snowing sideways…then it started raining. It was a fun day. And in May, when we bleach the lines and turn the water back on to the campsites, it could be snowing sideways then too! Turning the water back on to the campsites always brings guests out of the RV to ask “What the hell was THAT noise?” All that air that we put through the lines yesterday has to go someplace when you put the water hook ups back under pressure in the spring. As you turn on the faucets, they sound like one gigantic fart! And I mean it is LOUD! Like GUNSHOT loud! Always something to look forward to!
Today is the day that the CATV gets shut off to the campsites, our home and the Little Lodge. This worked out well because last night, the batteries in the remote for the older TV died so I put them on the charger last night...they can be used in the blood pressure monitor that we better take with us. We may need to use it for the next 6 days/nights since Dan won't be able to watch TV!
- Cathy Clementz
- A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!