Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A BIG,NOISY FANFARE

It is terribly quiet in my office; not just because there is no TV on in the next room but because the desktop computer is off, unplugged and packed away ready for us to take it to our friend’s tonight. (Since I’ll be posting this in the a.m. this story will be a little “outdated” by the time you read it!)

The desktop has two what I consider large fans…and they make a lot of fanfare noise! I asked the guru why this new desktop is SO loud and he assured me it is normal due to the bigger processors that are inside the “souped up” new computers.

I also made a lot of noise when it came time to unhook the computer. One would think with all that modern man and woman can do that there could be a LOT LESS CABLES INVOLVED WITH A DESKTOP COMPUTER!! ARRGGGHHH!!!! It is just a tangled up mess of cords and cables. It reminds me of the road map to get around Cincinnati. The UPS (not to be confused with the good looking delivery guys in the brown outfits) obviously has its own cord, plugged into its very own dedicated outlet (has its very own breaker due to the nature of Newberry Water and Light not being exactly what you call dependable). Then obviously the desktop computer, the monitor, and the Wild Blue satellite modem are plugged into the UPS. And obviously those all have to be plugged into something else in order to work. The printer is just on a very good surge protector but it has to be plugged into the back of the computer, as does the Ethernet cable, the keyboard, the mouse, the speaker line, and a back up phone modem…you know how it goes. It is just a nightmare and in 6 months when we get home and have to put it all back together again, I’ll be cursing under my breath then too (as I was THIS time). Even marking the USB places with what goes where, it still is a nightmare.

And I can’t believe how dusty it gets under there!!! And there is NO WAY to get it all clean because that would require pulling ALL the remaining cables and cords out and I’m just not going to do that! I tried to dust around them the best I could (sitting on the floor which is not comfortable at my age, and especially not sitting on my keys in my pocket!). Bright and early Monday morning, before we take off, I will then have to unplug the router and the modem and the UPS’s. (There is one for the router too) I just hope that the spiders don’t take over and the dust bunnies die a horrible death; I’m hoping they will all freeze to death while we are gone!

So, here it is, the next morning after I started writing this post. We have all my computer stuff stashed at my friends, had a wonderful meal (topped off with rich brownie and ice cream dessert) and a nice visit…and hugs all the way around when it came time to leave knowing this will be the last time we see each other for a long while. It is hard to believe that tomorrow morning, it will finally be time to leave.

It isn’t like leaving on vacation; now that it is time, it is kind of scary. I worry that Dan won’t enjoy himself and will miss the snow and grooming.

And as I may have mentioned before, it will seem strange not watching the birds in the winter (spending about $300-$500 for sunflower seed for 6 months..well, this year it will be saving that much). I’m already worried about the birds, which is dumb I suppose. And it will seem very strange not having snowmobilers around, with us sitting by the dining room window at night, playing a game and watching them come in and out on their sleds. Having them come in the office and tell me about the ride they had, how many miles they put on that day, what the trails were like, etc.

But, since our “beloved” Governor Jennifer did away with the Snowmobile Advisory Committee this past week ( SAC for short; a state agency designed to work with MSA among other things), no one has a clue what will happen next with the sport of snowmobiling in Michigan. Even MSA, Michigan Snowmobile Association, didn’t see THIS one coming. The MSA is the snowmobilers Lansing voice and goes to bat for everything to do with snowmobiling. For you sled heads, if you haven’t heard about this, look it up online. My point to telling this is that it is another reason Dan and I think we made the right decision on how to spend our winter.

We are meeting a friend for breakfast in a couple of hours, then it will be home to put the final touches on EVERYTHING so we can leave at daylight tomorrow. It is not supposed to be below freezing tonight, so we hopefully can get the 5th wheel dewinterized and bleach the lines to sanitize it before putting some water in the holding tank. And I fear it could be one of those days that Dan and I most likely are going to get on each other's last nerve!!!

I hope to be able to post one more time before we take off tomorrow, but if not, please keep checking back for our great winter adventure and photos!!! If I'm NOT able to post tomorrow a.m., it most likely won't happen again till towards the end of the week.

Later!!!

9 comments:

  1. Gary / Battle Creek5:55 AM

    Wishing you both the best of luck and hope you have a great time !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, YOU are up early too!!! Going fishing?? Thanks for the well wishes and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell dan to keep the dirty side down and the clean side up and keep it between the white lines 10-4.You all have a good time.see you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sfeutz6:32 PM

    Bon Voyage, you two! I hope you have a wonderful winter, but know it will be a great adventure! Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cathy-- It's finally here! Woo-hoo!
    Safe travels. I can't wait to hear more!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bon voyage! Give us a holler if you're coming near SW Colorado; we'd love to see you.

    I relate to the snarl of computer cords. I always draw a diagram when I have to disconnect the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking of you all day today and sending you good luck and lots of {{hugs}}!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your trip together on this new adventure. I will be watching your blog and emails for updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes today. I'll being about you and looking forward to your next post.

    We are all moved and in the condo. There is work to done at our house but the closing is Friday.

    Love and prayers, Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive