Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, October 01, 2009

THE APPLE OF MY PIE

My Grandma Cora made THE best, to die for, piled high of apples, apple pie. The crust was flaky and no one ever left a crumb of her apple pie. She didn’t have a recipe she handed down and even if she did, it wouldn’t do ME a bit of good. See, I can even screw up the roll out Pillsbury PREMADE pie crusts.

My first pie crust literally was for the birds…and even THEY didn’t want it. I think the raccoons must have hauled it off to the woods and buried it for me. Or maybe they played Frisbee with it. It would have made good skeets and possibly would have been cheaper than shooting clay pigeons. I never tried to make homemade crust again.

I DO make pie; once a year…Thanksgiving time. And it IS the Pillsbury crust. I make two pumpkin pies and two chocolate chip pecan pies. I won’t be making any pies this year because we will be living in our 5th wheel …at least that is the excuse I will be using.

But, I have to tell you, I have found a new, very talented, pie baker and she goes by the Blogger name of RETIRED ONE. As far as I’m concerned, she could hang out a shingle that says “HOME OF THE HAPPY COOKER” and sell these pies for a good amount of money.

Retired one and her hubby are staying in one of our cozy cabins for a couple of nights (yes, she brought her camera…you will recognize her as the woman with a lens protruding from her xyphoid process area of her lower rib cage). She brought us the most beautiful apple pie!! And it is in stiff competition with the memories of Grandma Cora’s apple pies. The crust is perfect and it is piled high with home grown apples. The taste is a bit of heaven, especially with a cold mug of milk. In fact, I BET it would go good with my morning cup of coffee about now. After all, I DO have to get the pie plate empty so I can clean it and send it home with her tomorrow!

I’ve been following Retired One’s blog maybe two years now (and she’s been following mine). As fellow Yoopers, we always have had the desire to meet and we finally have. She IS the nut I expected her to be, but she is also a very caring, loving person and it is wonderful to listen to her and her hubby interact and tell their stories about how they met, how they built the cabin and all the little things that have gone on in between.

As most camera buffs, she is always on the lookout for unwary subjects to photograph…and I think their plans for today will be no exception. I’m not going to tell you what their plans are or where they are headed off to today. THAT will be her story to tell you and I’m sure she will have photos to go along with it. You’ll just have to make sure to head over to her blog in a day or two or whenever she has time to put it all together.

So, I have met one of my “fellow Bloggers” and have high hopes of meeting another one this weekend. DVM’S Wife’s Life said that she and her hubby are headed up this weekend and plan on stopping by. It will be great to finally meet her too!

And I do need to give a shout out to a couple of people who are Yarns readers that stopped by this week to say hi and that they have followed me since I was doing the snowmobile trail report. And I also need to give a shout out to a couple from Munising who are camping here in their brand new “pod” trailer. She is a Yarn’s reader and they decided to take their first shakedown cruise and stay with us, so thanks to all of you!! (Since I don’t have permission to use names, I am not, but hopefully YOU will know who you are and know that I thank you for your support!!)

9 comments:

  1. I am bummed I will miss seeing The Retired One. She sounds like so much fun.
    We are heading up north Saturday morning and are not sure if we are going up through Newberry or the Paradise route yet. We have a friend who has a cabin near Betsy Lake we want to visit as well. And we also want to stop and see McTivers. Anyway, for sure Saturday or Sunday! I'll give you a heads up though first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DVM's Wife...She said she wished it would work out that you two could meet and if there was a way for you to get to Marquette, they would arrange to meet you someplace.

    You all have a safe trip up and we'll see ya soon!!! I'm holding you to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That apple pie sounds delish! How fun that you got to meet the Retired One! I wish I could join you ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley, the pie is wonderful!! And we did have fun for the little time that we spent together. Retired One is dragging her hubby across our county roads in effort to get some shots to share with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That apple pie sounds yummy to me. And I'm so glad that you're meeting up with fellow bloggers. This is something I'd never be able to do as I live in a different country and all of my blog-world friends are from other countries. So a weekend stop over'd be impossible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ekanthapadhikan, it is just great to be corresponding with you once in a while! Hope you are back up to 100% of feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thanks Cathy for the compliments on my pie!! It is the wild apples that make it taste so good, I just help it along with sugar and cinnamon. ha We did have a blast with you guys and want to thank you again for your hospitality and warmth. It was SO nice meeting you both.
    And DVM's wife: we have to figure out how to meet!! If you are heading anywhere near Mqt., send me an e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. RETIRED ONE...that pie (of which there are two slices left!) is to die for!!!! Thanks for sharing your baking skills with us! Glad you had a good time and can't wait to see your scenic shots...remember just from the neck up!!! HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crap, I was going to bake you something and now I'm not sure if I can top Retired One's apple pie!
    We will be up around 11 or so tomorrow, Saturday to stop by! Look for the black diesel w/ the Montana plate on the front hauling 4 wheelers. Bringing Ruby and Hope too!
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive