Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, September 03, 2009

READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. I don’t get the opportunity to read much in the summer months but I dig into many books during late fall and through the winter. (BTW, I have read both those Patrick McManus books and found his website…plan on ordering some more!!)

My taste in books varies from forensic mysteries, horror and thriller, historical novels (especially to do with Native Americans), novels set in the old South. I enjoy Norah Roberts, Stephen King, Dean Koontz to name a few.

Currently I am reading a book that I have totally immersed myself in. I keep putting it down because I don’t want the book to be “over”….but I have to keep reading it to see what happens next. I don’t recall ever reading anything by this author, Anne Rivers Siddons, but I will make a point of trying to find more of her books. This one is titled OFF SEASON. Here is a synopsis of it;

Acclaimed novelist Anne Rivers Siddons's new novel is a stunning tale of love and loss. For as long as she can remember, they were Cam and Lilly--happily married, totally in love with each other, parents of a beautiful family, and partners in life. Then, after decades of marriage, it ended as every great love story does...in loss. After Cam's death, Lilly takes a lone road trip to her and Cam's favorite spot on the remote coast of Maine, the place where they fell in love over and over again, where their ghosts still dance. There, she looks hard to her past--to a first love that ended in tragedy; to falling in love with Cam; to a marriage filled with exuberance, sheer life, and safety-- to try to figure out her future. It is a journey begun with tender memories and culminating in a revelation that will make Lilly re-evaluate everything she thought was true about her husband and her marriage.

I love the fact that most of the story takes place in the wilds of Maine at a family vacation retreat. It goes back to when Lilly (the main character) was a pre-teen and takes you through some of her tragedies and happy times during one particular summer at their vacation retreat. The author does an excellent job of reeling you into Lilly’s family.

No, I’m not turning my blog into a BOOK OF THE MONTH club but when I DO enjoy a book as much as I have this one, I like to share it with others!

On with other things!!

The days have been PERFECT!! The nights have too…except for the dogs who decide to start barking when the coyotes are done yipping. With the nights being so clear, the dogs that are ½ a mile away sound as if they were in the campground. Dan and I both enjoy the sounds of the night but the barking dogs are not something enjoyable. One would think the neighbors that are closer would complain!

Yep, fall is in the air. We are noticing less hummers, less sandhill cranes, more crickets, more chickadees and more color on the trees. Normally by now we have about 5 bear hunters scheduled to come in this month; so far we only have one! I don’t know if that means there weren’t as many successful hunters getting bear tags or if the economy is the reason behind the lack of bear hunters.

Well, it is pretty much daylight now so I can head out to the bathhouse and check it without fear of encountering a skunk or two along the way…well, I MIGHT encounter them but at least I’ll be able to spot them first!

Catch up with you again later!!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I am a Nora Roberts fan. I am not much of a reader, but when I do sometimes I can't put the book down. Currently I am reading the series of Blood Brothers. I am on the third book and it has taken me less than a week to get to it.
    A few books come to mind if you haven't read them Montana Skies, Genunie Lies, Pulbic Secrets and Birthright are some very good ones of hers.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I just read the first of the 2 Blood Brothers and haven't come across the 3rd yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

    I will say that I am very disappointed in the ending to OFF SEASON. It wasn't where I thought the story was going so the ending was a big disappointment to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW!
    The weather here has been perfect. We have been taking out the boat after supper and staying out on the lake until after sunset....loving it!!!
    Did you see the MOON last night???? WOW!!! HUGE!!! I took photos of it..I will have to post it on my blog soon.
    I am just trying to savor all this wonderful weather...every moment that I can before we get cold again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive