Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, September 21, 2009

MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH A BRIDGE PART FIVE

There were other trips going to Mackinaw City. Seeing the towers of the bridge looming in the distance was like greeting an old friend. And the reverse held true for leaving Mackinaw City; watching the towers in my side mirror or the rear view mirror as we got further and further away….it usually brought a tear to my eye.

But after Dan and I got married in October 1985, and officially blended our family of kids, we held off on our honeymoon till November. Dan wanted to spend our honeymoon on the Western end of the U.P. for the start of firearm deer season. He wanted to share with ME what he had shared with his hunting buddies over the years.

There was snow on the ground and it was picture perfect. We stayed at a little motel in Bruce Crossing and then drove the miles back to Kenton, down Forest Hwy 16 and out to the woods the next morning. I had never hunted anything before, well, unless you count hunting for my keys in my purse. So this honeymoon began a tradition of our vacations from work being the two weeks of deer season.

From there on out though, we camped out in “da woods” instead of staying in a motel. We purchased an older model 5th wheel and camped where we hunted. By this time, I had gotten quite familiar with rifles, gun and hunter safety and how to shoot. I even had a 308 semi-automatic for my rifle and I got my first (and only) deer with it.

Usually there was snow on the ground and then there were years when it was still 50-60 degrees for the start of deer season. One year, after having a week of fall weather instead of winter weather (and no idea what the weather report was going to continue to be), we woke up one morning to about 3 feet of snow! We cut our hunting trip short that year so we could make sure to be able to get out of the woods and onto the main road.

Another year, we had arrived and there was about 4-6” of snow on the ground. Dan decided to stay in the 5th wheel and take a nap. I went out “exploring” to see where I was going to hunt. I came back with, pardon my expression, a “big buck turd” in my gloved hand. The thing was HUGE! At this time, a singing group from “da U.P.” who called themselves “Da Yoopers” had a song out called “Da Tirdy Point Buck” (Translation for non Yoopers or non Finlanders…The Thirty Point Buck). I knocked on the door of the 5th wheel and Dan eventually, sleepily came to the door. I held out my gloved hand with this big turd in it and said “Do you know what this is? It is Da Tirdy Point Buck’s poop!!” Needless to say, Dan was wired to go hunting then!

There is more to the continuing saga, but I am still on dial up...maybe two more days from the looks of it, so hang in there!!! I can't wait to be able to get back and read YOUR blogs!!! I miss ya!! (It took about 5 minutes for me to be able to post this!!)

2 comments:

  1. So funny...what a woman you are! I have lived up here a great part of my life, but I never had the urge to hunt. Now I hunt with my camera, so I suppose it is a form of hunting, and I am loving it.
    I lost all my internet on Saturday and Sunday, had to have a A.T. and T guy come out to the house!! He said we had a short in the house on one of our phone lines (NOT). Because miraculously, him working on the outside line to "test" it worked and it came back on. Whew. I thought I was going to panic even more than I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired one...I enjoy hunting with my camera more now than with a gun...a lot lighter for one thing! And my toes don't get so cold!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive