Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, September 11, 2009

I DON'T LIKE SPIDERS AND SNAKES

(Do you know who sang that song??)

Well, I DON’T like spiders and snakes! I can deal with snakes a lot better than I can spiders. Of course, I have to have seen the snake first, know it is there and not be taken by surprise. With spiders, it doesn’t matter if someone had sent me a messenger with GPS coordinates telling me where the spider would be waiting for me…it still wouldn’t be a pleasant scene (some might consider it an amusing scene though).

I’ve told you before about the huge wolf spiders in our neck of “da woods”. (GAWD, I would hate to be the mail delivery person!!! Those things HAVE been spotted IN our mail box and as it was, I had to go collect the mail from down the road after I threw it and ran screaming away from the mail box. What would I do in the confines of a car???)

This morning, I was making my rounds at the bathhouse and was headed for the men’s room. As I reached up my hand to open the screen door, I noticed something on the sidewalk at my feet. It was a huge wolf spider. I swear he was as big around as the bottom of a beer can (or pop can for that matter, but even though I don’t drink beer, downing a beer is what comes to mind when I have a creepy encounter).

He looked at me with several of his beady eyes and reared back on 4 of his 8 legs. Up till this point I HAD considered trying to stomp that sucker flat, but I figured HE was getting ready to jump. I knew it would take HIM less time to jump than it would take me to lift up my leg and stomp down my foot. HE WON THIS ROUND. I managed to get out of there before he actually spoke to me or jumped at or on me. I thought MAYBE I’d be lucky and HE’D be gone by the time I was done in the women’s room and done opening the Laundromat. I came back about 5 minutes later and he was still there and he was still in attack mode position.

I decided I’d just call it good and tell Dan I couldn’t get in the men’s room this morning to check it because there was someone at the door waiting to get in…it wasn’t exactly a lie, was it???

So, how did your day start off?

9 comments:

  1. Icky. It made my day start off with crawling skin. Wolf spider....ehhhh.... I do not blame you one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Indiana jones. I HATE snakes! I'd rather encounter a spider-- with a long broom in my hand :-)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realized those wolf spiders jumped! Scarey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, all I have to do is think about a spider and my skin crawls.

    Joanna, long handled broom is what you need for these things! I had one jump on the end of a shovel and started up the handle towards me!

    Shelley, I didn't know it either till the shovel incident!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was picking up sticks in the yard(Grand Rapids)and one of them moved and took off it was a blue racer.about filled my shorts.Jim Stafford 1974 sang the song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tractor Guy, I was driving the baler and had two guys on the hay wagon when I saw two blue racers headed for the tractor and baler. I swear they were about 5' long and had their bodies "raised" (so like their head and "neck" was off the ground). I was ready to jump off the other side of the old Minnie but they ended up going through the baler. You should have seen the two guys on the hay wagon when the snakes came through in a bale!!! And I don't blame them a bit for jumping off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tractor Guy...forgot; you were right about the song!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I have never seen one.
    But that's okay with me.
    :-}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Retired One...I expect you to seek one out and get a macro shot of it!! HA!...and BRRRRRRR...gives me shivers thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive