Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, September 28, 2009

BUSTIN' A MOVE

A day or so ago, Retired One posted some photos of buzzards on her blog. The buzzards had posed just for her. She is a bird whisperer, don’t you know.

Her photos reminded me of a story that I thought I would share with you for no reason other than you are here and reading so I might as well try to entertain with a buzzard tale....well, there's that and the fact I'm still giddy with high speed!!

A couple of years ago, Dan had his 2nd knee replacement. It was easier the 2nd time around since we both knew what to expect.

He got to the point where he could walk around outside with his walker. If you have ever seen Tim Conway play the little old, shuffling man, you have a good idea of what kind of miles per couple of hours Dan was capable of.

I enjoy walking, but I cannot walk slowly. It sets my hips up something fierce. But I was trying hard to moderate my pace to walk with Snail Man. I finally ended up literally walking in circles around him and his walker as we proceeded our stroll around the campground. Actually, we only ended up going maybe 800’ before he felt he should probably turn around and head back. I asked him if he thought he would be OK for a while because I would like to walk ahead (a bit faster) and I would wait for him at one of the picnic tables.

Dan would need to stop and rest every once in a while, but he was progressing nicely. While I was waiting for him, I noticed a big shadow cut across in front of Dan so I looked up thinking someone must be flying a HUGE bat shaped kite. There were two turkey buzzards flying overhead!! Over DAN’S head to be precise!

He had stopped to take a small break so I yelled at him to look skyward. It was so funny to watch. Dan is such a comedian. Both of us knew the buzzards weren’t really honing in on him, but it did give us pause….so Dan picked up the pace. He was picking that walker up and smacking it back down and traveling as fast as he could go…hup, hup, hup….stones were flying out of the roadway every time he’d smack that walker back on the ground.

After he’d traveled another 8feet at this remarkable pace, he had to stop and take another break…and the buzzards were still over head. By now, friends of the buzzards had joined in the circle. A couple of them had perched themselves in a nearby tree. Maybe they DID see Dan as easy pickings!

And what was even more bizarre about this whole incident was the fact that we had never even seen buzzards around here before!! Eagles, yes! Buzzards, no!!

Dan made it back safely to where I was waiting for him and we walked back to the house…and watched the buzzards watching the house. Ever since that time we HAVE had buzzards around here. Butt ugly things that they are….

5 comments:

  1. Ah! And that's a nice little buzzard tale.

    And Hi! I'm back in circulation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I read your posts and laughed until I cried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ekanthapadhikan, welcome back!!

    Wendy, Dan makes ME laugh till I cry sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny!!! Oh my gosh, I would be scared if I were him in that situation..and I'd be limping my arse back home dragging my walker behind me, peeing probably because I would be giggling too.
    You guys have too much fun.
    We laugh a lot too...its the only way to run a marriage, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retired One...I can just picture you doing this!!! Dan and I have so much fun laughing at each other...that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean! We enjoy each others company and shortcomings!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive