Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

NUTTIN' MUCH!!

I’ve already started thinking about where Dan and I can spend fall/winter of 2010 and 2011.

I had been talking with one of our guests about our plans for THIS fall and winter. He told me that he and his wife had spent part of last winter at a sandhill crane refuge in Mississippi and thought that Dan and I might enjoy that.

In order for you to share in the adventures of Bill and Cheryl Fitch, the guest I just mentioned, please go to their travel journey website at www.mytripjournal.com/Fitchhaven. In the right hand column, you will see various dates with various entries. I haven’t had a chance to visit all of them, but I did check out the ones about the sandhill crane refuge. If you don’t have time to check them all out, you might want to at least check those entries out. Very interesting! And some nice photos to go along with it!

And I do want to say that having Bill and Cheryl here with us has been a real pleasure. Bill is quite the character (and I mean that in a very good way! Love his sense of humor!!). And we’ve exchanged quite a bit of “poking fun” at each other! They were even kind enough to stop by the office yesterday and ask if we needed anything from town!

Business still continues to be much better than last season and I am still hopeful that it will last on through the fall color tours (AKA leaf peeping season). I haven’t had anything to take photos of in quite a while; we hardly have any birds except for the mourning doves and hummers. I don’t know what is up with that. The hummers are keeping me busy making “juice” for them. When it is as hot as it has been the past several days, I don’t put a lot of juice in the feeders because I don’t want it to spoil or “boil over”. So, I am cleaning and filling more frequently than I had been.

I’m sitting here, watching the fog dissipate and the clouds turn pink…and 3 female hummers at the feeder outside my office window. What better way to start the day??!

(BTW, there is a new post below this one...one that might help cool you off!)

4 comments:

  1. So, how do you know they are FEMALE hummers??? I have tons of hummingbirds and they move so fast I've never noticed their sex.

    Glad biz is still good. I wish I lived in a place that actually had fall colors. The changing seasons are on of the things I miss most living in So. California.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Joanna...I could have such X rated fun with your question!!! We have the ruby throat hummers; the males have the ruby throat, the females do not. And the juveniles don't either so sometimes, this time of year, I can't be sure if it is male or female or juveniles.

    When I start updating the Eastern U.P. fall color report, I will post the link on Yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how I feel about sandhill cranes!! I would LOVE to go there and learn more about them!
    I loved his photo of them in flight too.
    I am so looking forward to your adventures and the pictures that I am sure to come from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retired One, I thought about you while he was telling me about the experiences they had!

    I'M looking forward to our adventures too!! I just hope that I can get near high speed often enough to upload those photos to Yarns!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive