Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, August 06, 2009

NUTTIN' MUCH

FINALLY, a decent night’s sleep!! And I didn’t have to get up at 4 a.m. to check the bathhouse!!

I forgot to tell you that one of those early morning walks DID conclude with an encounter of an unanticipated skunk. I’ve been very vigilant looking for them while being out about in the wee morning hours and hadn’t had an issue. I had seen a couple off across the campground, but knew I was safe where I was headed. So the other morning, on my walk back to the house around 5:00 a.m., I wasn’t thinking so much about skunks. Heck I was almost at the sidewalk so wasn’t too concerned.

But there was a surprise waiting for me by the sidewalk. We both startled each other but thankfully he (or she) was facing me…and we both started backing up slowly. He turned around and ducked beneath the spruce tree BY THE SIDEWALK. There wasn’t any way I was going to walk past that tree. He finally came out of the tree and headed under the deck. That still wasn’t a good place for me to be going to. Then he came out from under there and went under the 5th wheel. I managed to get inside without a confrontation.

HOWEVER, this morning, about ½ ways out to the bathhouse, I got a good whiff of Pepe la Pue. I think one of our guests let his dog out in the night without a leash, just let him out, and he got sprayed. The reason I think that is because this same guest came into the lobby, not smelling too good himself and asked where the vet’s office was located, said his dog had “a run in” with a skunk. I bit my tongue. I wanted to badly to say, “If you’d kept him on a leash, this could have probably been avoided!” If he’d had the dog on a leash, I think the comment would have been “WE had a run in with a skunk”.

I’ve had people ask me if we aren’t worried about going away and leaving our property for 5-6 months. Heck no!! We’ve got someone watching the place. We aren’t so excited to get away but what we didn’t think of that! It’s just that there will be no business transacted so no phone calls intercepted. But there will be warm bodies and eyes around! And of course, the State Police and the County Sheriff’s Department have all the info too. And we’ve got a LOT of friends and neighbors who will be assisting. We DO kind of worry about snow load because we aren’t asking the people to climb up on any roofs to take care of that stuff.

We officially close and padlock the gates October 17th and we HOPE we can leave by the 19th. We’ll have a LOT to get done in basically 1 ½ days so it may be the 20th. I was shooting for the 19th because it is our 24th wedding anniversary but no big deal if we aren’t able to leave then. So, we are down to approximately 75 days!!!

Now that I’ve got both computers pretty much tweaked the way I want them and have caught up on some computer work, I can continue my search for that TV. I kept all the links that various Yarn readers sent me so hopefully within the next week or so, I can get it narrowed down further. So thanks again for all the advice!!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't get sprayed by a skunk. That guy should've had his dog on a leash.
    So where do you go for those 5 months once you close up camp? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepe the Pew! I loved it.
    thank goodness you didn't get sprayed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, I'm glad too!! This is our first winter to close in 17 years but the first 3 months we will be working at Alligator River National Wildlife refuge, near the Outer Banks, N.C. then we leave there Feb 1 to head to a BLM park 5 miles from Ennis, Tx to be camp hosts for 10 hours per week. THIS one is in exchange for our campsite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive