Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

HIDEY HOLES

In case any earwigs are reading this and haven’t yet found where to hide, let me give you some good ideas. I know these are good ideas for the reason that they put an instantaneous halt to a couple of my activities.

The first one; if you, the earwig, haven’t already considered this place, you will totally love it. But for those of you who are reading and are not an earwig, let me set the stage. I have a Hamilton Beach Brew Station. It is the type of coffee maker that you push your cup UNDER the dispensing part of the coffee maker. You push your cup hard enough to make contact with a ‘lever’ that then opens the automatic “coffee feeder” and delicious, non burned coffee comes into your cup in a steady stream. At least that is what is supposed to occur. But one time, the coffee dispensed out of that little hole in a fine mist. It misted hot coffee all over the place. I figured my coffee maker was done for, but good old Dan (even though he doesn’t drink coffee) checked it out and found that an earwig had tried to take up residence in that little dispensing hole! YUUCK!!!!! Dan managed to free (in several SMALL pieces) the cooked, now gray colored, earwig. I don’t know HOW much hot water I ran through that thing before I felt it was “cooked” enough to have gotten rid of every trace of earwig DNA. So earwigs, there’s a swell spot for ya…at least till someone brews coffee!!

The 2nd one; Once again, I must set the stage. I use what I call a pressure washer for my teeth and gums. It is kind of like a Water Pic only slightly different. The tips are replaceable, and the other part of the apparatus hooks up to your sink water spout. Then you put the tip on the end of the little “hose”, turn the water on and VIOLA! A pressure washer for your mouth!! One evening, after brushing my teeth, I put my pressure washer together, put the tip on the “hose” and proceeded to set the correct temperature and the force of the spray. It sprayed for about a nano-second and stopped. Yep, you guessed it; hanging out of the end of the tip was the REAR end of an earwig! I know it was the rear end because there were no pinchers on it. So THAT went in the garbage. Fortunately, I had another tip. I now keep spares on hand PLUS after allowing the whole kit and caboodle to dry a bit, I then put it in a Ziploc bag and put it in the cupboard instead of leaving it hanging on the hanger it came with. Another big YUCK and an EEEEEWWWWWW.

At least the wolf spiders haven't been so plentiful this summer!

(I DIDN'T SEE ANY MALE HUMMERS YESTERDAY!!! Well, if I did they were the juveniles without the ruby throat. Normally the males leave first but THIS IS EARLY!!! Maybe I just wasn't in the right place at the right time, but it IS ONLY 40 DEGREES THIS MORNING!!!)

4 comments:

  1. Gary / Battle Creek8:52 AM

    The pincers are on the rear end of earwigs, at least on all that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little bugs creep me right out. Icky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, Maybe I'll have to do a search!!! I figured since the direction they were headed in had the end with the pinchers, that had to be the head! Regardless, they are UGLY!!!

    Ahsley, ME TOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck, yuck and triple yuck. I simply have to look up what an earwig looks like. I honestly haven't seen any bugs around the house....now you have me paranoid. ha
    I have the exact same kind of coffee maker...so now I keep looking up the hole. ha It is time to flush out the hard water with vinegar in it again, so that would kill anything!!!!
    But thanks. Thanks alot. Now I feel itchy. ha LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive