Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, August 10, 2009

HERE KITTY, KITTY, KITTY

In the evening, when things have slowed down, Dan and I set on the couch and watch TV (or at least go through the motions of trying to find something to watch). Due to the way our living room furniture is arranged, we can also watch what is going on in the campground.

I guess it was about 8:30 last night, I saw a skunk trotting across one of the campground roads towards the playground. It stopped a distance of maybe 3 or 4 feet away from the road. It was very visible. It jumped up, spun around and acted like it was playing with something, but we couldn’t see what it might be playing with. THEN we saw the tail go up and we waited for that dreaded aroma….nothing. That tail went straight up so we were very surprised that he hadn’t sprayed at something.

THEN we saw a family (human family that is) walking towards that particular campsite road. There was Mom, Dad and two kids….and the skunk was not that far away from them. There was nothing we could do except watch and pray that they saw the skunk before it was too late! BUT THEY DIDN’T!!! THEY KEPT ON WALKING TOWARDS THE SKUNK!!! And the skunk was not backing away or even moving (as far as we could tell anyway; it IS a bit of a distance). THEY GOT RIGHT UP TO THAT SKUNK!! The skunk still didn’t move and by now Dan and I are very alarmed; is it sick??? Is someone going to get bit?? Sprayed???

We watch in horror as the little girl bends down as if to pet the skunk!! OH MY GOD!!! I know we get a lot of people from the city, but even at that, these people should know about petting strange critters. The parents and kids are standing around the skunk and the little girl picks it up and puts it back down. I’LL BE DAMNED IF THAT SKUNK DIDN’T SPIN AROUND IN A COUPLE OF CIRCLES AND TAKE OFF DOWN THE CAMPGROUND ROAD!!! And no one is screaming, no smell in the air. WHAT A FORTUNATE FAMILY!! By now we’ve got the binoculars out in order to see if this critter looked like it was something that Dan needed to go out and shoot (maybe it was sick or injured)!

I’m glad Dan didn’t go grab the gun; WE would have been the ones left feeling stupid. Well, actually we DO feel stupid. The “skunk” was a large remote controlled truck that was dark in color with a white blaze from front to back!!!

All that spinning around and the raising of the “tail” was actually being controlled by this little girl. I don’t know what caused the truck to ‘rear up’ so it looked like a skunk raising its tail. We got a good laugh about that.

Overnight, Dan must’ve forgotten about the whole episode because when he asked me this morning if I had seen any skunks this morning on my trip to and from the bathhouse, I answered “Nope. And I didn’t see any remote controlled trucks either!”

12 comments:

  1. It must be the crazy MI weather causing your eyes to fog up or play tricks on your mind?
    Course this story goes along with your previous post of "We Gotta Get Outta This Place"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DVM's Wife...I think it is our old eyes..but IT was getting dark and it was slightly hazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:08 PM

    This is PEE YOUR PANTS FUNNY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, we haven't yet shared this story with the family. When we catch up with them we will let them know they gave us a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me rolling on the ground with laughter! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asley, Dan and I will remember the "almost shot a truck" for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's "dodging a bullet". Thank goodness it wasn't reallllly a skunk.

    I'm just back from vacation. I missed you. now I'm off to catch up on your other posts.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna, glad you are back and had a good time!! Especially the water balloon stuff!!! Never too old for that! Well, maybe a wet T-shirt doesn't look as good as it did 20+ years ago!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is toooo funny! I am really going to miss all your adventures and story telling! Hope you all enjoy your winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooo funny!
    One word for you two:
    CATARACTS.
    hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is funny!!! But I will tell you, when I was a little girl about 5 years old, my mom came outside and found me petting a "kitty." Well she screamed and grabbed me from the "kitty" and ran into the house. Turns out the kitty was a skunk! My mom was surprised it didn't spray me.
    :0

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tami, I hope to continue Yarns while we are gone...it just depends on our spare time and what kind of a connection I have!! Thanks!!

    Retired One...CATARACTS!! OR MAYBE KITARACTS??

    Shelley, YOU WERE LUCKY!!!! And so was your Mom for that matter!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive