Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, August 31, 2009

BUTTON UP!!

To quote a very famous Marine…..SHA-ZAM!!!

In case there are younger readers who don’t recognize that famous line…it was Gomer Pyle’s signature line, well that and ‘SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!” I think either one of those phrases would fit this morning!

Dan said we would have frost by September 1st. We have frost!! It appears to mainly be on the roofs, but it is there! The temp this a.m. is at 34 ®!

The hummers are VERY active and we do have at least one adult male hanging around yet. Last night, I did remove one of the 4 feeders since it was empty but there is plenty out there for them to fight over!!

The Newberry Area Chamber has hired a new director!!! She has been onboard now close to a month. I would very much like to tell you her name, but I can’t remember it! I know it isn’t Joy; maybe it is Jory? I’m embarrassed that I can’t remember it, but the important thing is SHE IS DOING A WONDERFUL JOB WITH THE UPDATES ON THE CHAMBER AND THE TOURISM WEBSITES!!! I am SO happy that they have someone who has the time to dig deep for the upcoming events. I always felt badly because I just didn’t have the time to go that route. But if you get a chance, visit www.newberrychamber.net and see what a list she has developed!!

I guess it is a good thing that summer is coming to an end…our big mower has decided to give us fits so until we can get it fixed, we are mowing with our little Johnny. When you go from a 5’ deck with a zero turning radius to a 38” deck it feels like you will NEVER get done! It isn’t that the grass is so bad right now, but there are these wildflowers that just won’t quit! They grow on a stem that is about 18” tall and has the tensile strength of a steel beam. The wildflower only opens when the sun shines. They are pretty…but in the right place! Not all over the campground and roadside.

It is hard to believe that tomorrow is September 1st (oh, did I mention, 50 days and counting??)! Summer, or whatever the past 3 months should be called, went very quickly! And it seems strange that Labor Day is “late” this year. We thought as good as summer camping was that we would be pretty much booked for Labor Day but we still have some water and electric sites left and about 8 rustic sites. So, if you are still looking for a place to stay over Labor Day, check us out at www.northcountrycampground.com. You CAN make online camping reservations or I will be happy to take your information! Our lodging is filled so it is campsites only!

Hope we can be a part of your last days of summer plans!!!

5 comments:

  1. Happy 50th!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ES, THANKS!!!! It is getting harder by the day to keep our thoughts geared towards our business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was cold here in central Ohio this morning - 48 degrees. We will be in the U.P. (Curtis) in two weeks. Definitely packing my flannel!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasper, I've had my long underwear top on under my long sleeved denim shirt for the past couple of days!!! This week is supposed to be more normal temps though, but COME PREPARED!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were down in Kenosha during this cold spell of yours and the U.P.'s so we missed it (thank goodness);...this week now is absolutely gorgeous! The weather is supposed to be high 70's here with sunshine everyday this week up thru Wednesday...so guess we are getting a little Indian summer. It should really help you get campers in!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive