Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, August 27, 2009


Do you remember the Australian shepherd that we babysat for earlier this summer? Kathy just called to tell me that Maggie died yesterday. The vet thinks Maggie had a stroke. Dan and I both came to love Maggie and we know how badly John and Kathy are hurting right now.

Last weekend, Maggie and her mom and dad were camping at Muskellunge State Park (John, the dad, is a DNR officer there). Kathy had taken Maggie for a walk along Lake Superior shoreline (across the road from the park) and got some very nice pictures of Maggie sitting by the shore. She said it was like Maggie was posing for her.

Yesterday when John came home about 3, he said Maggie wanted out and had a hard time getting up but managed to get outside. When he went back a couple minutes later to check on her, she was on her side, laboring to breath. He came back in and called Kathy at work and then called the vet. Kathy got home as quickly as she could but by this time, Maggie had dragged herself under the deck. She was still alive but was in a bad way. John and Kathy managed to get Maggie on a tarp and pull her out from under the deck and load her in the truck. John broke speed limits getting Maggie to the vet. When he arrived, Maggie died. The vet came out and examined her and said she was sure it was a stroke. Maggie was only 10.

John and Kathy are taking care of Maggie at home. Just like we did for Chewy and Nick, John has built Maggie a coffin and they will be burying her at their home. They have all of her favorite things in with her.

It has been over a year since we had to have both of our beloved pets put down, and there are times we still catch ourselves going to empty our water glass into one of the dog dishes, or little things remind us of our missed “kids”. Anyone who has lost that important member of their family knows exactly what John and Kathy are going through and what lies ahead for them.

(If you want to see Maggie's photos and the story we wrote about her "vacation" while she stayed with us, go back to June 7, 2009 post. It is after the photos of the hummingbird)


  1. Anonymous5:34 PM

    I had my older golden there a month ago....she loved to chew on the driftwood logs and romp in the waves.....I hate to think about her leaving me........

  2. How sad for poor Maggie and her family.

  3. Anonymous, Maggie had wanted to go play in Lake Superior but was contented to sit by the shore and not get all wet and dirty. It is difficult to even think about life without our pets.

    Joanna, It is never easy. We know how much John and Kathy loved that Maggie. Even their cat missed her while Maggie stayed with us! Kitty will probably be lost for a while having the house to himself, etc.

  4. So sad. They become such wonderful members of a family. They will be in my thoughts.

  5. I am so sorry to hear about your friend's dog. I've had to put a few dogs down before and it has crushed my heart and I always say never again! But now I have a puppy again....the heart does heal over time.

  6. This is so terribly sad. We had an Irish Setter for over 14 years and she acted the same way before she died. She tried to get up and couldn't. We took her to the vet and they came out and said he felt tumors all inside of her and said she was suffering and we probably should put her down. I went in and held her in my arms as they gave her a shot and she fell asleep in my arms, her breathing getting slower and slower. I bawled all the way out of his office and all the way home. I still miss her and it was over 20 years ago. We simply could not get another dog after her. We tried, and gave it to another couple...it was just too soon and the dog could not "live up" to our first one. Then we got two cats and had both of them for years. They died within 6 months of each other. And we miss both of them still, after 6 years....


Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive