Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, July 24, 2009

WHAT THE FLOCK?????

I know the weather has been strange this "summer". It has affected bird traffic as well as other types of traffic.

Dan and I were talking the other day that it won't be long till we hear and see signs of autumn approaching....but didn't figure it would be THIS soon.

THE GRACKLES ARE FLOCKING UP ALREADY!!!! We normally don't see this "event" till mid- August or later! The yard was loaded with grackles (and a few red winged black birds) yesterday several times. And you could hear FLOCKS of them in the trees across the road! So far we haven't seen any caterpillars (other than the logging equipment in our woods!) and haven't heard the crickets chirping yet. This is SCARY!!!

I have recieved a BUNCH more emails about TV's, HDTV, etc. I'm going to print off all the info so I can really study it....thanks for all of the input!

This weekend is the festival at the Logging Museum (about 2 miles south of us) starting off with their big lumberjack breakfast. It is also the car show in Newberry. Lots of events and fun!! Hope to see you there!!! Or I SHOULD say HERE! We can't "get out and go"!

9 comments:

  1. What do the grackles know that we don't? I want to be gone before the snow comes. We're right on schedule with the mayfly hatch here. They are everywhere. The grackles should be here to eat them. But the sea gulls are trying their best to eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lumberjack breakfast! {yumms}

    ReplyDelete
  3. sfeutz9:00 AM

    You really need to get away to the lumberjack breakfast! I don't know what they do in the cook shack that makes it so special but I rarely missed the opportunity when I lived in Newberry. Can almost taste it now. . .Yummy. .I bet they would do a "to go" for you. . . wish they delivered in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have quite a few grackles here with their babies (which are about the same size as their parents now)..but the babies are making their squeaky baby noises (which sounds like a rocker needing an oiling). All of a sudden our hummingbirds are back and eating like crazy...they are eating twice as much as usual, so I don't know what that is about either!
    We have had rain, rain, rain. The sun came out for the first time today about an hour ago.
    I am hoping the rain stays away for most of tomorrow. It is Art on the Rocks in Marquette and all my childhood girlfriends will be here for our annual reunion...so keep your fingers crossed. ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. SBW, hopefully the grackles are just a tad off their rockers!

    Sandy, You'd think ONCE in the 18 years we've been here we could make it to the lumberjack breakfast! We COULD go individually, but that's no fun!

    RetiredOne, love your rocker description! Never thought of it like that! Hope you received the email I sent you last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, everyone RAVES about the BIG breakfast and how much fun it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red winged black birds! Never seen those before, cool.

    I am so sorry you are still wrestling with computer troubles. It's amazing how much we've all grown to need out computers and what a struggle it is when we have to work on a "slow one".

    Hang in there. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get your e-mail! Hope I didn't accidently delete it..sometimes I think it is a copy of a blogger comment...can you send it again???

    ReplyDelete
  9. ed fitts11:04 AM

    Nooo, I cannot begin to think of snow yet!!! It does look like we brought the nice weather up with us last week and brought it home with us as well:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive