Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

TINY WINE

Dan left for Iron Mountain yesterday. Today, he and other Vets “catch the bus” to Milwaukee VA hospital. He is supposed to meet with the “board” and the drs to see what they found out about his knee and what might be done. If you remember, last week he had these “radioactive dye” blood Xray type tests of his knee.

So, yep, I’m a “bachin’ “ it again for a couple of days and nights. To take the edge off of my time alone (after I close the office at 9:30 p.m.) I splurged yesterday at the store and bought two bottles of Arbor Mist peach flavored wine. I had hoped to get a bottle of the raspberry too, but must be everyone else in the area had the same thought because that was all gone. In fact, I got the last two bottles of the peach. That little old wine maker better get busy!

About 7 p.m. in preparation of closing the office, I decided I would open one of the bottles and have a little taste. I got all the classy black foil off the top and managed to get down to the lid. I knew it wasn’t going to be a corker so at least I didn’t have to go through that. My taste buds were singing at the prospect of that first swallow.

Since the bottle was very cold, and my hands were also cold, I wrapped a kitchen towel around the bottle (or you know my hands would break out in hives from being cold) and grasped the twist off top in my left hand.

After what seemed like 5 minutes of wrenching on that cap, using every possible position of my hands I could think of (I admit, the drool running down my chin didn’t help any), I decided I would try the other bottle. But first, I had to go out and get some campfire wood out for a guest.

I came back in, got the other bottle out, removed the pretty black foil and grasped the bottle in one hand and the twist off cap in another. Whoops, another camper wants fire wood….and tourist info. By now, I felt a bib was going to be needed due to the taste buds working overtime.

OK, back in again… by now it’s going on 8 p.m. After a couple more tries I FINALLY heard a SNNNNAPPP! I was afraid I’d broken the neck off the bottle! Fortunately it was just the cap that broke loose! After all of that, I deserved a sip…right out of the bottle. To heck with getting a wine glass out; THAT would be for AFTER I closed the office.

It had been quite a while since I’d had peach wine, and that first swallow was so extremely delicious. I was counting the minutes until I could lock up!

In good time, it was 9:30 and I could lock the office for the day. But first I had to go make a check of the bathhouse and lock the Laundromat for the night. There was no light on in the men’s room, which is usually a good sign it is not occupied. I went on in. I needed to check for supplies and close the windows. I got around the corner of the shower stalls and there was a man, STANDING AT THE URINAL. He had assumed the position…and there he and it was. I suppose he didn’t bother to say anything when I turned the lights on because he figured it was another guy. (BOY DID I NEED THAT DRINK NOW!!). I’m not sure which one of us was more mortified.

I made a quick retreat, apologizing all the way out the door. To save either of us further awkwardness, I went around to check the women’s room and hoped by the time I was done there, HE would be done on the other side….and that no one else went in the men’s room before I got back! I was safely able to finish what I needed to do in the men’s room, got all the windows shut and beat foot it back to the safety of my wine bottle. I made myself a small plate of Wheat Thins Sundried Basil and Tomato crackers and about 10 cheese curds (aren’t those things good???). I poured myself a small glass of wine (I think it was about a 3 ounce glass) and sat down to enjoy what was left of my day. Somehow I ran out of wine before I ran out of crackers and cheese. REFILL PLEASE!!

The next serving of wine managed to end at the same time my crackers and cheese were gone. But do you know, those Arbor Mist bottles may LOOK like they have a lot of wine in them, but they really don’t. Once you’ve opened it, poured a small glass of wine, the contents are WAY down below the neck of the bottle. From there, another glass seems to take the level down a LOT further.

It was a nice, relaxing way to end the day….and I slept pretty well too (until about 4 a.m. when I realized I was on the verge of being one, giant hive…it was 37 degrees and I had the windows open!).

Ladies, when you have a chance to spend an evening by yourself, how do you like to spend it??

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like your night was quite eventful! At least you had a good wine to go along with it. {Yums}

    I enjoy curling up on the couch with the pups and either watch a girly chick flick or curl up with a good book. I like those lazy days the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sfeutz8:41 AM

    A homemade banana split for dinner and some silly TV show works for me! Bananas-ice cream-strawberries-chocolate-all health food,right? But the peach wine sounded good too. May have to add that to the dinner menu. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I like curling up with a good book too. I do that a lot in the winter time. But then, it is starting to get dark about 4:30 p.m.! What else are ya gonna do!!??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy...THAT sounds yummy! At least when it is warm outside!! The PEACH wine is healthy too...peaches are fruit. Just like all the goodies on your split!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed Fitts1:33 PM

    37 degrees, brrr. Hope it warms up by this weekend when I head to the family compound at Pike Lake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed, I KNOW!!!! It is supposed to 58 tonight!!!! Enjoy the time at Pike Lake!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:11 PM

    You poor girl!!! How embarrasing for the both of you! I bet you were surprised! I owuld have needed a big old beer after that encounter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ed fitts4:00 PM

    Thank goodness for the warm-up. I've never been a big fan of near- freezing temps in the middle of July...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous...Oh, I've walked into "situations" sort of like that one before; only it was a 15 year old mentally challenged boy standing in the shower stall, naked, no lights on. I even yelled "Is anyone in here?" No one answered so I went on in.

    Ed, the Weather Wizards said we could get into the 30's last night but I didn't want to believe it! Hope they are right about the 50's for tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I have a night alone, I like to do like you do...go sneaking up on men in dark bathrooms to see their junk. JUST KIDDING :-}
    I usually turn up the old rock and roll and go on line to blog or start some stupid project like going thru my clothes closet...
    I like the idea of drinking wine until the crackers are gone and then getting more crackers because the wine isn't gone...!!
    You always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Retired One...OMG!!! You crack me up!!! LOVE that first line or two!!! You are a nut!! And love your other choices too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive