Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

IT'S A SIGN OF THE TIMES

I'm still working with this old, tin can of a computer. National wants to wait and bring both computers at one time so it could be Thursday before I can get back to normal!!

I haven't even been taking photos (not that there is much to take photos of except for the logging going on in our woods). But we HAVE been busy with campers and lodging guests.

When I DO get my computer(s) back and set up, I will take a couple of photos to share with you...photos of LEAVES THAT ARE CHANGING COLORS ALREADY. Again, this is something we don't normally start to see till mid-August...and that is usually because the trees are stressed from a hot, dry summer. We know that hasn't been the case THIS year. It took a LONG time just to get full fledged leaves on the trees due to it being so cold!! I hope we get out of here before it starts to snow!!! At this rate, it won't be long till I start updating the Eastern U.P. fall color report!!

I want to share with you a story about Maggie Pike at the Newberry KOA. A lot of our campers seem to think that Maggie and I compete with each other, which I guess to some extent we do....BUT we DO also work back and forth. If I've got campers who want a pool, I will call Maggie to see if they have availability. If Maggie gets campers who want cable TV hook up, she calls me to see if we have openings...these are just some of the examples of how we both try to help tourists in our area and help each other.

A couple of days ago, I received a phone call from someone looking for a group site for up to 60 guests with about 20 tents. I explained to them that LEGALLY our group site doesn't allow us to place that many tents and people on one site and since our Michigan Campground License specifically states certain things, we could be in trouble if we did something we should not. I suggested he call Maggie at the KOA. Since they are a larger park, maybe they have a larger LEGAL group site. He and I kicked around the idea of splitting the group up between the KOA and our park. I never heard back from him.

Yesterday, Maggie calls to give me a heads up that she has given a group such and such a rate and hoped that it would work out that we could split them up; she'd take 1/2 and I'd take the other 1/2. We agreed on a VERY reasonable rate since this is for a good cause. So, from August 2 - 5 we each will have 40 tent campers with about 15-18 4 man tents from this group. So, a big pat on the back for Maggie for helping make this work out for the group and for both of our parks. Not only will it help the both of us, but hopefully will generate a little income for the area too...groceries, gas, entrance fees, etc.

If any of your DO read the Zen thought for the Day (or every couple of days), I realize I haven't changed it in a while. I am waiting to get my computer back. All my "thoughts" are in MS Word and opening MS word takes such a long time with this old gal that I'm not using it anymore than I have to. Things SHOULD be back to normal SOON!!!

Take care!

4 comments:

  1. Your leaves are a changing color already??? Oh my. I hope this fall provides some good solid color. Brian and I always love coming up and putting around for a few days.

    Wow, that is a large group of campers. At least it seems you both will benefit from this. Glad to hear you have been busy with campers and lodgers. :)

    Are you counting down the days until you head out in that camper of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team work! Love to hear it all worked out okay.

    It's hard to imagine the leaves are starting to change already! Boy, time flies.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on that computer. It's been a long time for you without! Oy.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cooperative effort with each other. Way to go!
    I know how frustrating it is not to have good computer opportunity.
    Sometimes our server here is soooo slow that when I go to post my photos it takes forever or 'freezes' up and I have to shut it off and reboot. A real pain in the butt!
    No leaves changing here...just rain, cold and wind.
    SIGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, the whole "leaf thing" is a surprise to us. We're even seeing some yellow cherry tree leaves on the ground (the wind has taken them down, but the wind didn't change their color)! Hope you'll be able to make it up for fall colors! YES we ARE counting the days till we leave!!!

    Joanna, Hopefully it will be a good "leaf peeeper" season (AKA tourists)! Going without a decent computer is like going without Brachs chocolate stars all summer...which I HAVE done so far this summer!!

    Retired One, do you have high speed or just dial up? I guess that doesn't make a lot of difference if you've got an old slow anchor like my desk top! I emailed them this a.m. at 3:30 and told them BRING THE DESK TOP EVEN IF YOU CAN'T BRING THE LAPTOP!!! I've got Chamber website and Tourism website updates to do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive