Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

HOW CAN I BECOME EVEN MORE CLUELESS??

WOW!!! I am more clueless about the TV purchase than I was before!!! I received many helpful emails, even a phone call from Fred, several comments...and the only two things I have figured out is 1. DON'T GET A TV WITH A DVD PLAYER BUILT IN and 2. PEOPLE ARE DIVIDED ABOUT HALF AND HALF OVER PLASMA (ISN'T THAT WHAT BLOOD IS CALLED??) VS. LCD (OR WAS THAT LSD??).

Others have inquired how much do we want to spend (just as soon not spend anything actually!!) and what brand.

So, let me elaborate on those things.

Dan and I will need just a 19" TV. I don't care if it is a Vizio, Emerson, Panasonic. We don't need an expensive model because we won't be watching it that much. I have also been forewarned that just because a TV advertises it is HDTV doesn't mean you are done with your purchase...that you still need to buy "the box"...I assume that means the converter box that the government gave coupons for. I also assume this is in case you are hooked up someplace that does not have CATV and you are relying on an antenna????

Feel free to post comments or suggestions or email me at northcountrycampground@gmail.com. We're getting down to the less than 85 days till we leave mark!!!

One thing I DO know how to purchase is computers..and I have a new desk top coming next week for our business. I don't think I have told you but my LAPTOP IS AWAY GETTING A NEW MOTHERBOARD!!!! So I've been relying on old faithful AGAIN since last week. I haven't found a way to pour Geritol in this 6 year old computer and since it IS an important part of our business, I HAVE to replace it. It is too old to spend the money putting more memory in.

I don't purchase cheap computers; this is one reason I am so disgruntled to say the least about the lap top. ALL of my computers have been Equas Nobilis computers...and they have been faithful till the bitter end. Our reservations system, which I developed with the help of an older gentleman who use to be my guru, is the guts to our computer. And I cringe every morning when I have to open up Access (our database). I know Access won't fail me...but this old dog has lived a very useful life and needs to retire.

So sometime next week, Chris from National Office Products in the Soo will be delivering, installing and transferring files to the new computer. I stayed with XP on the business computer because we are not 100% positive that my Access version 2002 will work 100% on Vista (I purchased Access when I got THIS computer instead of getting the OEM version so I CAN legally use it on the new one).

Along with another cute story; Dan and I had a surprise visitor yesterday. This man walked into the lobby carrying a "large" puppy. At first all I saw was the puppy and thought "Someone lost their dog!" Then I realized it was ES (he posts on here at times; the photography professor) carrying the dog. He brought their new "puppy" Cisco to meet us!

Cisco is an Australian Shepherd (like the Maggie dog that we babysat for last month) and is 14 weeks old....and very, very shy. He stands about 12" to 15" tall so he's already got a good growth going! AND IS HIS FUR EVER SOFT!!! He's the black and white version and has one blue eye and one brown eye. And as I said, he is very, very shy. But sooooo cute.. Thanks ES for letting us meet Cisco!

Well, keep those cards and letters comin'! I need to get this TV search narrowed down!

5 comments:

  1. Just looking at you Red Rocks and Pretty Places slide show; sure know a lot of those scenes! Look forward to seeing you down here in ... 90 days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:44 AM

    I bought an Emerson 19" LCD HDTV at Walmart 1 1/2 years ago. The picture quality is great. The sound is a little 'tinny'. But it's good enough for the bedroom. It has a built-in digital tuner so I ASSUME you don't need a converter box if it's not hooked to cable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Did a quickee search and found that
    Best Buy has a stand alone dvd player for under a $100(Toshiba) that is jpg friendly, as is there tv/disc combo house brand 19" Insignia sp? didn't catch a price. I could not find anything about a Emerson that would do jpg.
    Just google jpg players and find sumthin in your price range

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom and Sandy; we won't be down quite as far south as you are but when we get to the Dallas area, it will be about 2/4/10. We're due in Manteo NC about 10/22/09.

    ANONYMOUS NUMBER 1. We have two Emerson TV's; one in our home and the other in the Little Lodge (one of our rentals) and they work fine so we don't have a problem with Emerson brand at all. Only thing is they are "old fashioned"!

    ANONYMOUS NUMBER 2; I have researched the stand alone DVD/CD players and understand them...it's just the buying the TV now that I'm confused over. I am convinced to purchase a stand alone DVD player vs a combo. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary / Battle Creek4:25 PM

    Cathy try this link for a little about the difference between LCD and plasma:
    http://www.igodigital.com/SolutionTool/Walmart/stepListing.aspx?SID=DFA49A37F55445A6B6071C57B325F307&ToolID=75&SN=0&SortOrder=8

    It might help a little.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive