Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

COME TO THE DARK SIDE

We're slowly getting into my favorite time of year...autumn.

I don't know what it is about autumn that I enjoy so much. Maybe it is the sounds (crickets) or the smells or that the stars seem closer against a cloudless, dark sky.

But one thing I enjoy doing as autumn approaches and after it has arrived is getting up early (or I should say EARLIER) in the morning, taking my cup of coffee and sitting in the dark on the deck. It is quiet then; not much road traffic and the campers are still asleep so no one can catch me and say "I need something".

This was one of those mornings when I would have enjoyed doing that. I couldn't sleep; thinking about the computer(s) and all the things I am getting behind on. So, I got up about 4 a.m., made my coffee, got my shower and was going to set on the little deck in the "dog yard" area. Trouble is that we haven't put a chair out there this year! And the deck is wet so I can't sit down on it.

I could have gone to the other deck; the one out by the lobby. We do have a couple of chairs there but there is the porch light that is on as well as 2 mercury vapor lights close by, so it isn't dark by any means. I did stand out there for a while (no bugs!!) just inhaling the early a.m. smells, listening to the frogs in the distance and looking at what stars I could see. To the east the sky was getting the early morning coat of purplish colors...I was enjoying my brief time to myself.

I heard something I didn't quit recognize. Kind of a "chittering" sound. Then I heard something in the water at the bird bath. There were 3 skunks (I think it was a family) getting a drink and washing their faces! I don't think they had a clue I was within 15 feet of them. They rummaged around under the bird feeder for a while (getting close to the deck) and finally strolled off down the sidewalk. WHEW!!!

While I do enjoy my time in the dark, I have to be careful because other critters enjoy it too!

3 comments:

  1. Whew, good thing they didn't notice you. That would have been a whole lot of bad!

    It is amazing what a good cup of coffee and the peace or nature does for ones mind isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish you could have gotten a picture of them! That would have been a hoot to see them washing their faces in the birdbath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've captured the joy of early morning and being a spectator to the world of nature and even the skunks. Glad you didn't become part of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive