The orthopedists at the Milwaukee VA hospital agree with Dan; there IS something wrong with his right knee replacement. He couldn’t convince the orthopedist at the VA hospital in Iron Mountain so at least that Dr agreed to “forward” Dan to the BIG facility…that is how/why he ended up there last week.
One thing we know from this visit is the right leg IS about ¾ of an inch shorter than the left leg…which was not the case right after the surgery (guess it has been 2 years on that knee now and 3 on the left). This most likely is the reason for all the hip and back pain Dan has.
The Dr in Milwaukee thinks the “spacer” between the upper part of the knee and the lower part is crushed or out of place. There is also the possibility that there might be an infection going on (but Dan’s white blood count has been normal).
Dan will have to go back to Milwaukee to have a test performed; they will take some of his blood and “radioactivate” the white blood cells. Then about 24-48 hours later, they put this blood back into Dan and x-ray the knee. This is supposed to tell them if there is an infection going on I guess. Dan seems to think it will show them if the “spacer” is gone. Ladies, you know you shouldn’t send your fellas to the Dr by themselves…not if you want to know what is REALLY going on. Maybe I should invest in a tape recorder??? One that is voice activated so Dan doesn’t forget to turn it on???
So, we are waiting for “instructions” from the VA to see when they want Dan back. THIS is one of the major drawbacks to being self employed…I can’t go with him….and he will have to be gone maybe 3 or 4 nights. Or it could be longer. Dan won’t be driving himself so will have to depend on the DAV van which runs from here to Iron Mountain on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. The VA bus, which takes the vets from Iron Mountain to Milwaukee, runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This could be a scheduling issue to get Dan home even after he is released.
Anyway, when this is all done, there is a strong possibility of surgery which CAN be put off till next spring. In the meantime, they would supply pain meds and a shoe lift. The reason we would put it off till spring is because of our plans for this fall/winter…and the fact that I can’t go with him NOW due to our business. ARRGGGHHH!!!! Ya sure you don’t want to buy a nice, clean campground and lodging?? Or even learn how to run it???
And speaking of our next fall/winter plans, we think we know where we will be after our stay at Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge. When we leave there the first of February, it looks like we will be working at Bardwell Lake which is about 5 miles from Ennis, Texas and about 40 miles south of Dallas. The temp there yesterday was close to 90. sigh....
1 week ago