Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, April 03, 2009

PANCAKE ICE

FROM MY DOWNSTATE FRIEND (when we both were puzzling about the dumpling ice and how it forms I told her I was gonna try to find out; she beat me to it and this is her response); Thanks Anne-Marie Woodruff!!! (Hard to get use to your married name!)

Well, I'm no 'expert', but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :-)
I did some research & here's what I found:


turbulence (stream flow and lake currents) circulates heat throughout the depth of streams or the lake epilimnion and therefore dynamic ice forms from frazil ice, which is ice that has formed in quiet water and become suspended in the flow
The frazil ice crystals agglomerate and float to the surface to form frazil flocks or slush floes, which oscillate in the turbulent water, becoming exposed to cold air and freezing into ice pans (pancakes). Ice pans collide with one another , developing a dish shape (circular and concave). Frazil ice and ice pans are generated from the same stretches of calm water, on successive nights and / or cold days until the concentration of ice pans results in a continuous ice cover. The ice cover extends upstream from ice bridges that form over clam water or constrictions in the channel. On the St. Lawrence River, ice pans travel as much as 40 km per day.

in the more turbulent flow, the ice pans can be destroyed and thus an ice cover may be thin or absent from rapids, except possibly in cold climates or cold years
ice also can form in the still water behind objects on the stream bed (e.g., boulders); this anchor ice can restrict the flow possibly causing winter flooding or it can break off and float to the surface

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive