Dan and I THINK we finally have the plumbing back together in the bathhouse.
Last year, we didn’t start putting it back together until about May 6th….and we had problems. After spending one whole day tearing all the shower plumbing apart from top to bottom, adjusting the amount of water that is allowed to come through the shower heads, scratching our heads, cursing and swearing, trying to get the plumbing back together without killing each other, cleaning the shower heads, etc. we finally figured out that these industrial, commercial shower heads were dead. ONE of them worked, the others did not. These are not something you can get locally and so I went online in search of them.
What I DID finally find out is there is a 10 year life on these particular heads and we’d managed to have them for almost 14 (we switched to these 3 years after purchasing the park during which time we had learned a lot!). I found another company that made others that were similar but different in the shape of the head and how they are mounted to the plumbing. AND if you bought two you got one free…we needed 3. And considering they are a bit over $60 a piece we felt it was a good deal. They too are expected to last 10 years.
So about a week after we started putting the bathhouse together, we were finally able to open it (had to wait for these heads to arrive).
This year we figured there would be NO problem, but as I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago, we did have a split in one of the copper lines so had to fix that (thank goodness for all the new plumbing accessories that make it so much easier!)
Yesterday we were putting the finishing touches on, filling up the water heaters, getting the air out of the lines and then testing the showers. ONE shower had a heavy stream of water, the other 3 did not. We thought something had to be frozen someplace so spent a lot of time trying to thaw out any pipes that felt cold. I finally convinced Dan to take this certain section of plumbing apart and then I turned on the water line to it…water came out of it just fine so it wasn’t a freeze (the plumbing to the showers is pretty much “interconnected”).
We were still scratching our heads. We knew it wasn’t the shower heads because they were new and weren’t even installed for this season. It finally dawned on Dan that there is a water flow adjustment on the apparatus that I will call the shower controller (we have push button showers which has eliminated a LOT of problems). As soon as he adjusted that, we had water! Plenty of water!
Today, we HOPE it will be a simple matter of readjusting the tempcontrol (another apparatus that is on the water lines that controls the temp of the hot water; it actually “mixes” the hot and cold water before it even gets to the bathhouse faucets or showers). AND Dan’s all time favorite job; getting the urinals adjusted. Anyone who has worked with Sloan valves knows they can be a real issue. I usually try to be out mushrooming or bird watching (ANY PLACE ELSE) when he gets to those.
So, basically all that will be left is cleaning up the messes we made over the past couple of days. And when it warms up enough then I have to paint the men’s room floor. It is too cold yet at night to even think about it.
It was about 5:30 last night by the time we called it a day. Hopefully when we get back out there this a.m. everything held together and we’re pretty much good to go!
Next on the list is…… a LOT OF THINGS! But it feels good to be doing something!!
3 weeks ago