Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, April 04, 2009

IT SCARES ME!

It wasn't my intent with my previous post to give the impression that I know a LOT about photography because I don't. My biggest "asset" I guess would be setting up the shot and being what I call photo fussy.

I assure you I have a LOT to learn even about the Fuji Finepix S8100 that I purchased last fall. I hemmed and hawed over a year about getting a SLR digital camera. I bothered ES a LOT with questions. I mainly wanted to get the SLR so I could use my existing 500mm telephoto lens. In order to use it (since it was used withe my 35 mm Canon) I would have had to gotten a certain type of SLR digital. I did a LOT of soul searching and trying to justify spending that kind of money...and then there was the fact, did I REALLY need an SLR?? After all we've already established f/stops and I don't get along well and I probably would just use it on auto anyway.

So I opted for the Fuji that I have. And I still have a lot to learn about it. It is as close to being an SLR as you can get without actually being an SLR. And the little manual that came with it doesn't tell ya squat. BUT, there is a CD that once you load it is a PDF file of 180 pages...all the info you could ever need! GREAT!!! But who in the heck is gonna carry around a CD and pop it in a computer while you are out taking photos? Or print off 180 pages? For what ya pay for a camera you'd think they could include that manual instead of having it on CD!

It has a lot of various settings and many things I can do with it..most of which I haven't done yet because of not having that manual handy thing. I'm thinking I should just print it and be done with it. Oh, I printed off an assortment of pages but I really should print the whole darn thing.

So, yes, in all honesty, I'm kind of afraid to get out of my comfort zone (or at least what I have established as my comfort zone) with this camera for fear I won't be able to figure out how to get back to where I was (if that makes sense).

So please don't think I know it all because I sure don't!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, now I know what type of camera you have. Get a manual for that baby. I have reread mine on numerous occasions.
    Great place to pick up some info on photography is Flickr.com. There are plenty of forums to educate you and learn from.
    Also pioneerwoman.com has a photography section. Check out her archives and read away.
    Otherwise, hop on over that bridge and come see me and we'll talk about cameras. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DVM's Wife...I searched all over the net to find the BIG manual that should be with this camera and all that is offered is the small version that came with it. I truly just need to bite the bullet and print off most of those 180 pages in a font size that I can read "in the field".

    It sounds like I DO need to use Flick'r more. And thanks for the link to the pioneerwoman.com site. I'll check that out.

    Ya know, maybe you, Retired One, Ashley, Sandy, Shellmo and anyone else that likes it in our neck of the woods should plan a get together this summer. I've got a big coffee maker, or a big jar for sun tea, or a fridge to hold wine coolers.....I'm kind of centrally located to the Eastern U.P. attractions....lots of photo opportunities around when you all got ready to go elsewhere....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God, I would LOVE that...seriously!
    I also live on Michigamme Lake, where there are also a lot of photo opportunites and am pretty much in the middle of the U.P. so we could possibly do it here too (or for our SECOND meeting?) Just let me know.
    I always have a reunion with all of my friends during the last weekend in July and of course the 4th of July week is always busy, but other than that, I'd be open to other dates...we should seriously think about it.
    I will be the REAL amateur photographer in the group, but I can soak up everybody else's knowledge and experience.
    And: put me down for wine coolers!!! ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys would just need to let ME know what works and I most likely would be open to it. Once we open our park back up May 10th I can't leave here till we close again (other than getting groceries and small errands where Dan doesn't have to attend to the office for very long at a time!). So for me, it would have to be here.

    It WOULD be fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive