Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, April 06, 2009

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW??

Yesterday morning, while it was still cold (when ISN’T it cold??) and the snow was still firm and crusty, Dan announced he was going to “take a tramp to the woods”. I said “Instead of taking a tramp, why don’t you let me go with you?”

He was grunting and groaning putting his boots on (I think it has something to do with all the butterscotch disks he has been consuming. And I gotta tell ya, I didn’t know they caused so much damn gas!). I was just plain groaning putting my boots on (my groans were directed more at Mother Nature and Old Man Winter).

Dan grabbed what he calls his “staff” (AKA, LONG pole…well shoot, I can’t seem to get away from a play on words with this whole thing. Let me try again…a 6’ long wooden stick to help him walk without falling down, also could be used in self defense should we encounter any Ninja’s in da woods). I grabbed the camera bag.

It is about 1/16th of a mile walk (or tramp) to the Poop Pond (AKA sewage lagoon). Since it was still cold we could walk on top of the snow but we treaded gingerly just in case there were any surprises. We managed to get back there without any huffing and wheezing nor any falling down. Dan measured and there is still about 20” of snow on the level back there and the Poop Pond is still pretty much frozen over. By this time, I had hives on my face, hands and could feel them on my feet so I announced I was headed back.

I started back down the trail a ways ahead of Dan. Suddenly, I heard a thud and an OOOFF! I looked back and Dan was face down, headed DOWN HILL. I quickly walked back to where he was and asked if he was OK (I was worried about his artificial knees). He managed to get his face and hands out of the snow and gave me a thumbs up …or maybe it wasn’t his thumb. HE did have gloves on. Reflecting back to that moment, the digit was longer than a thumb. SAY!!!! That WAS NOT a thumbs up!

Regardless, we got him back on his feet and his staff back in his hand. He assured me vocally this time that he was OK. By now, my face was really breaking out so again, I started out ahead of him. I didn’t hear him coming behind me so I looked back and he had the cell phone in one hand and patting his coat pockets with the other hand.

ME: “What cha doing?”

DAN: “Oh, (*$%! I think I lost my pack of gum when I fell down.”

ME” “So are you planning on calling search and rescue? I see you have the cell phone out.”

DAN: “No, HA. HA. I’m not calling anyone. When I fell down I landed on the phone and was gonna make sure it still worked. Then I noticed my $*&^ gum is missing!”

ME: “Well, it’ll be a neat trick to try to figure out if the phone works since we rarely can get a signal even in the yard.” (with that I started to walk towards the campground again)

DAN: “HEY!!! I’ve got a signal! The phone works back here!”

It’s pretty bad when ya have to head to the woods to get a phone signal. And it isn’t like we carry that thing every place we go; it just happened to be in his pocket. But at least now I can tell our guests where to go when they want to "reach out and touch someone" and they can't get a signal in the campground! TAKE A TRAMP TO THE WOODS!

8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your sense of humor! A little whimsy never hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troutbirder, thanks. I haven't been feeling very "whimsical" lately with the darn weather!

    Now, I've got to go visit YOUR blog! Your name has me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did snicker a little when you said your hubby fell - but I'm glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shellmo, I didn't go into the part where it looked like he'd tried to make a snow angel but didn't quite pull it off due to his tummy being in the way. It appeared to be a pregnant snow angel..sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny!
    Although, had this scene happened at our house, I would be the one who fell and couldn't get up. My hubby always says: If you walk faster over the snow crust, it won't break through." yeah...right....inevitably I crash through to my hips and whine and then he comes back and helps me try to crawl out of it, shaking his head.
    I will be glad when it all melts and I can whine instead when I trip over the branches. ha
    The Retirement Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, thank you for sharing. I let out a little giggle when Dan fell. Be sure not to tell him though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retired One. And Dan says walk slow and take small steps. I can't help but take small steps with 10 pounds of darn boots on weighing me down!

    You have given me a mental image of you stuck in the snow that will be with me the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley....THERE you are! I was getting worried about ya! You hadn't posted on your blog since sharing your story about the accident and I was getting a bit concerned.

    Hey, I won't tell Dan any one laughed as long as no one tells him I wrote about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive