Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

YOOPER CRANES AND PHOTOGRAPHERS

I forgot to mention in my previous days posts that we DID see two sandhill cranes yesterday. They were standing out in a marsh on the ice. It would have been a nice photo but no place to get off the road to take it.

Do you remember the "good old days" when you would take a shot with your 35mm and you just KNEW it was a good shot, but then you felt you had to use up the roll of film before you took it in to be developed, then take it in, wait 2-7 days (depending on where you lived) and then FINALLY see that shot...only to discover it sucked?? My motto use to be "Some day my prints will come..." Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Digital and their kids Giga and Bytes for this innovation of instant satisfaction (or disappointment, depending how good that shot was!).

I WAS one of those people who thought I would NEVER stray from my Canon and a tripod. But I haven't used my 35 in ages. In fact the last time I used it seriously was in 2004 when we went out west (slide show called Red Rocks and Pretty Places). I was so disappointed in my shots (and when we were in Moab, I found a one hour processing place) that I vowed THAT WAS IT!! Fortunately I HAD taken shots of the same things with my digital. I THINK my 35mm needs a professional cleaning and it isn't worth the $$ that would cost to pursue it.

It wasn't that the shots were bad, but they just didn't look right. I used the same filter I had always used but I was NOT satisfied with any of them.

Then, a couple years ago (it was shortly after the Sleeper Lake Fire) I had the opportunity to meet ES (he lurks around here sometimes and posts comments once in a while), his wife, their two dogs and HIS CAMERA AND LENS....IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!! Let me clarify that; ES is a very nice looking guy (I always think of Professors as being vest wearing, stodgy types), but it was his equipment...CAMERA equipment...that I fell in love with. I wouldn't have a CLUE how to use it. He had a lens big enough that you'd need two tripods to hold it. You probably could see the space junk floating around in space with this thing. And OH, the photos he takes....

He had a display in Newberry last spring of his photos. It was held at the new store called the Old Bank. I am in total awe of his shots...so I always feel very honored when he stops by Yarns and leaves a comment whether it is in regards to photography or not. The bird photos were amazing and he knows a LOT about birds.

Anyway, I digress...we are seeing more and more signs of spring, but Mother Nature and Old Man Winter are still playing with us. Cold temps and we COULD see up to 8 inches of snow this weekend. ARRGGHHHH.....

2 comments:

  1. You are no slouch when it comes to beautiful photos,either!!!!
    I look forward to seeing every one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired One, you are good for my shutter ego! BTW, I FINALLY got all the way through your photos today! AMAZING SHOTS! Love your flower garden(s). You have a lovely spot for your log home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive