Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

IT'S MY REASON AND I'M STICKING TO IT; AKA WHY I BLOG

Ms DVM’s wife had a blog titled WHY DO YOU BLOG?

It got me trying to remember why I started blogging a couple of years ago (or longer??).
The first time I heard the word “blog” I had no clue what that even meant! When I found out, I thought “HOW COOL!! A place where I can go and no one can tell me what I can and cannot write!”

THAT was my reason to start Yooper Yarns!

Yes, I had people trying to tell me what I could and could not write on my trail reports! The one I do at http://www.michiweb.com/ was the one LOCALS were complaining about! Hey, I figured if I was paying X amount of dollars per year to advertise ON that website and I was the one doing the “work” I should be able to write what I wanted to write! But some of the locals also advertised on that website so I guess maybe they did have a right to “complain” about my taking up space in the trail report to talk about things that had nothing to do with the trail report. But usually, these things I put in the trail report were personal, humorous stories. (One fellow emailed me and said that our lives reminded him of I LOVE LUCY. That was after I put in a story about the “traction contraption”) And locals even complained about my Zen Thought for the Day!

But I got TONS of “fan mail” from my readers. That trail report is/was emailed to about 1200-1500 subscribers and read by how many more per day on the website, I don’t KNOW that figure. The commonality of the emails was “Every morning, we wait for our daily fix of your trail report. You join us for breakfast and are like a part of our family. Hope to meet you sometime.” When the Newberry Tourism association would go to the snowmobile shows, people would come up and ask “Is Cathy here? We want to meet Cathy.” (Please don’t think I’m patting myself on the back, these things actually happened. I would find out about it later from the people who “manned” the booth). But I got so tired of dealing and having words with the people who complained about the content of my trail report, I started Yooper Yarns. Every once in a while, I still make reference in my trail report to Yooper Yarns, IF I have something that I feel my trail readers might be interested in. And I DID NOT do away with my Zen Thought of the Day.

So Yarns was developed as a result of all of that.

And it has become a medium to keep people informed of things going on in the area, especially when we had the Sleeper Lake Fire. I can’t even begin to count the number of people who emailed or stopped by and thanked me for the coverage on the fire. Little did they know that many times when I was updating about the fire or adding personal observances about the volunteers that I would be sitting here typing with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. Every night when the fire fighters and volunteers would make their way back to town for a quick shower and a hot meal, Dan and I would try to be in the yard so we could give them all a big thumbs up…as did everyone in town. When the Blackhawks and Minnesota tankers would fly over head, I would do my best to be out on the deck to give them a salute and a thumbs up. They would be low enough in the sky that they would see me. Sometimes I could see the guys that were “riding shotgun” by the open door in the back, wave at us. And a couple of times, they (the Black Hawks) would make a small circle, come back and hover over us and wave. This was towards the end of the ordeal and they were not needed as much. I didn’t want anyone to think they were wasting time being friendly; they were working.

So that is pretty much my history of how MY blog got started.

I’ll have to find that ‘traction contraption’ story and post it again!

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad you blog! I love stopping by and reading about what is happening up in da' U.P. eh! Not to mention I update Yooper with your weather reports or other events going on up by his little piece of paradise he calls camp.
    Blog on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathie10:56 AM

    Cathy - I have followed you it seems forever, like years before this blog was started. I love to read about the life in the UP. Always one of the wishers that I want to live up there. Between yours and Sharon's blog from Copper Harbor and now the DVM's Wife, I am thinking of starting my own blog. I look forward to your blogs and now to when start your new experience's in the fall. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Thank you Cathy for blogging ... You are my 1st stop in morning on the computer and so enjoy your stories along with your pictures. We stayed with you last summer at the campground and that is how I found your page. You are now in my favorites so that you are just 1 click away. We are hoping to come and make a visit again this summer at the campground. Just waiting for the warm weather so that we can get the motorcycle out once again and enjoy the awesome ride north. Keep up the great writing cuz there alot of us out here who enjoy it so much.
    God Bless,
    Tee Winne
    Lupton

    ReplyDelete
  4. DVM's wife...and back atcha! And I enjoy seeing your photos! I take it with all the snow we've got you aren't planning a trip soon??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathie...you must be a snowmobiler?? Glad you stayed with me through thick and thin! Ya should start a blog and see where it leads ya!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee Winne, AH, to get the bikes out...I'm waiting for that time too! Not that we have a bike (well, we DO have a 10 speed!) but I'm looking forward to THAT kind of weather!

    We hope you DO come back and stay!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Hey Cathy...I remmeber you and Biskit going through the same kind of stuff over people having a problme with your trail reports! Ttat was why he made his closet site. We sledders have come to trust your reports and rely on them all of the time to make our plans. You have always been honest with the trail reports and we did enjoy reading them. Hope some one can do the job that you have done. Hope you keep yarns going!
    One of your readers, Steve from Ft. Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve, Oh the hassles of it all...but in the end it worked out OK! And I only have 3 more TASA meetings and about another 13 trail reports to do! Hey, I'll even have to change my profile on my blog, won't I?

    I'm glad I have been able to help out with your snowmobiling plans. And yes, I WILL keep Yarns going!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:55 PM

    I found your blog during the sleeper lake fire and I've been reading it faithfully ever since then. We have property up that way and your info was the best we could find. Since then we have enjoyed the other stories and info that you provide to all of us. Keep up the good work!
    Your friends from Florida, Beth and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth and Bob, Thanks for the post! Glad I could help out in some way! Everyone around here did what they could during that fire.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive