Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A FARWELL TO MY FAITHFUL TRAIL REPORT READERS

I am copying my "trail report" here because some of my sled head readers follow Yarns as well as one of the 3 trail reports that I do.

The following I posted this a.m. on the trail report that I've been doing for about a decade or longer. Due to the weather conditions, some of my trail report readers have unsubscribed from the trail report for this season, but they DO follow Yarns, so that is why I am posting it here. I am posting it exactly as it appears on the emails and the website. I still have to finish up with the trail report on the TASA website and the one on upsnowmobiling.com. I won't do those two for a couple of days.

I also want to give a BIG thanks to the Newberry Comfort Inn owners of Jan and Jim Goldthorpe and their son J.D. They very recently gave everyone of the groomer operators and each one of the board members gift certificates for a local restaurant. This was to show their appreciation for all that the TASA board and groomer operators did this season. So, helmets off to the Goldthorpes!

(I don't know how the election will turn out. There was an interim election on march 17th at the TASA meeting which I was not in attendance. Currently we have temporarily filled two of the 3 vacated board positions, but no one wanted my position. I hope by election date, someone comes forward to take the Secretary's position because I AM done)

LATEST SNOW AND WEATHER:
This isn't a trail report because I believe we are done for the season. The weather ahead isn't conducive to grooming or riding.

This is my farewell speech to all of you.

I've been updating THIS particular report since, I THINK 1997 or 1998 so you have been with me for a very long time. This report was viewed online as well as being emailed to between 1200-1500 subscribers.

I've made MANY friends via this report; mainly through emails and some of ya have stopped by and introduced yourselves to Dan (Groomer Dan) and me. I have saved each and every email that I have ever received from any of you over the years.

So, with all of that said, before I close this up, we also need to thank Kay from Grand Marais, Diane Reed from Seney, Chamberlains from Curtis and the Paradise snowmobile association for allowing me to include their reports in THIS report all of these years.

Many of you know that Dan and I will not be here next winter and as it stands right now, our lodging will not be open next winter (but please do check in case something changes). And some of you know that Trail Boss Bob (who has served as TASA President for the past two years and had been trail boss for maybe 10 years) and his wife Judy (who has been TASA treasurer for about 10 years and grant writer the past two years) have also called it quits. They have already turned in their key and stepped down. None of us wanted things to end the way they did, but sometimes "things happen".

There will be a new TASA board come election on April 14th, 2009 and I probably will post that info for you. I don't have a clue who will be doing this particular trail report, but whomever it is, I hope you will give them the same support and encouragement that you have given me over the past decade.


And please remember, who ever the "contact person" for TASA will be might not be able to answer all of your emails and phone calls as quickly as I always tried to do, so don't take it personally.

Some of us are sorry things ended the way they did, but the 4 of us feel a big relief. We do hope the new board will be able to pick up where we all left off and hopefully "new blood" will be able to do it better than what we THOUGHT we were all doing.

You will still be able to keep "track of me" via my
www.yooperyarns.com. I will keep that going whether we are here or not.

CURRENT TRAIL CONDITIONS:


SPECIAL NOTICES AND EVENTS:
TASA ELECTION OF OFFICERS IS APRIL 14, 2009 7 P.M. AT THE GROOMER BARN.


Don't forget to check
www.yooperyarns.com. once in a while.

If you can help in any way, shape or form, please feel free to contact me at 293-8562 or by email at
northcountrycampground@gmail.com

LODGING OPPORTUNITIES IN NEWBERRY; The paid supporters of this site (which include, in alpha order) CLEMENTZ'S NORTHCOUNTRY CAMPGROUND & CABINS at
www.northcountrycampground.com

COMFORT INN OF NEWBERRY at
www.newberrymichigan.net

GATEWAY MOTEL at
www.gatewaymi.com

HALFWAY LAKE at
www.halfwaylake.com

PARK-A-WAY
www.theeveningstarmotel.com,

CHECK OUT
WWW.VISITNEWBERRY.COM FOR SNOW PHOTO'S.



Newberry Area Snowmobile Report
Newberry, Michigan
http://www.visitnewberry.com
_________________

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Thanks for everything It was a great run Good luck to you all It won't be the same.


    Thanks again

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 AM

    Thank you to You, Dan, Bob and Judy!!!!!! You will be missed. This has always been the best and most honest trail report available. In my opinion, TASA is the best association in Michigan. I have always been confident that the trails will be just the way you say they are. That means a lot when you drive 7 hours to get to Newberry.
    Phil McDonald
    Decatur, In

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:42 AM

    Just wanted to say thanks for all you and the entire TASA board have done to support snowmobiling. I know that without people like you, the sport would quickly die out. We could aways depend on a accurate report and will miss you very much. I hope the new TASA board will have the same insight. Once again thanks and I hope you have a great summer and even better winter next year.
    Bob Potter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:43 AM

    I looked forward to your reports and read them with pleasure each time. You gave a piece of yourself and the north country in each message -- it was definitely more than just a trail update. All the best to you and Dan!! Both of you will truly be missed. Take care!!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathie8:14 AM

    I also looked foward to your reports. They would give me a dose of the UP when I wasn't there.

    Cathy, Dan, Bob and Judy Thank You!! for all your time. I really enjoyed sleding in your area. Your job was so thankless. It was a shame it all ended the way it did. Thank you all again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Hi Cathy,
    I'm sorry to hear you, Dan, Bob and Judy will be leaving, I’ve always appreciated the fact that you folks volunteer so much of your time to a sport for the rest of us to enjoy. Though I haven't rode as much this year as previous, my twin 2 year old boys are my fun nowadays, your trail system has always been a great place to ride and your trail report is the best one out there, much more personal and enjoyable to read, I know I'll miss reading it in the morning when I arrive to work.
    I hope the individuals taking over the vacated positions have some big feet, they have some big shoes to fill.
    I wish you all the best and want to Thank you, for all your service over the years. Enjoy your next winter in some warmer weather and leave all the cold and worries at home, have fun with that new camper and Take Care.
    Regards,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:45 AM

    Will really miss your snow reports. Look forward to them, best UP weather report available. I have forward it to several who have since signed up for its subscription. I hope whoever takes over the reporting and TASA president and trail boss can hold up like you two have.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:51 AM

    Thanks so much. I live in the Flint, Mi. area, and always looked forward to reading the trail report in the morning when I looked at the puter. Best to you and you will be missed.

    Thanks again Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:54 AM

    Hi Cathy & Dan,

    Thank you for everything! Enjoy your new endeavors!!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Instead of me trying to address eaach one individually (I have responded to a BUNCH of emails) I just want to say THANKS!! All these comments mean a lot to Bob, Judy, Dan and me.

    It will be very strange not doing something that I've been doing for over 10 years, usually for 90 days at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Thank You for your service! I've been following your reports for 10 years and I loved the insight into your daily life through all of the ups and down. I hope your next stage of life goes wonderfully. Have fun and God bless.

    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:09 PM

    So sorry to hear the news. Dan (the groomer) and you will be
    missed. We've never met, but I feel I know you from the snowmobile reports
    you put out constantly. I sure did look forword to all the news. Your write-ups were very interesting. My buddies and I come up every winter
    several times for snowmobiling and appreciated what you had to say. Good
    luck in your future endeavors. May the good Lord be with you wherever you
    go or whatever you do. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Cathy,

    I can't thank You & Dan, and Bob & Judy enough for all you've done for my favorite sport. But YOU and and your up-to-date, honest trail reporting is what I will truly miss the most! I got into snowmobiling about the same time that you started reporting, and you have been my link to the UP this whole time. My hubby hears, "Well, Cathy says" all the time, but we both know that if you say the trails are good, then the trails are good! We have had fellow sledders, in or returning from the UP tell us one thing, but your report says differently, and we have made the 6 hour trip, based on what YOU say, and not once, we're we ever dissapointed in trusting what you said. You have shared so much with us followers, that I consider you a friend, though I've never met you personally, and I am going to miss your reports terribly. But I don't envy the great winter you will have next year, because you certainly deserve it, and I hope it is all that you and Dan are hoping for, plus more!

    Doogirl

    ReplyDelete
  14. To Doogirl and everyone else that has posted...you have brought a lump to my throat and sometimes tears to my eyes. Everyone wants to be appreciated and all of you have made me (and Groomer Dan, Prez and trail boss Bob and Treasurer/grant writer Judy) ALL feel very appreciated.

    All of the well wishes, emails and posts are going into my scrap book (well,it is actually a folder that has high hopes of becoming a scrap book!).

    Thank you so very much for all that you have said. You have no idea how much it means to all of us.

    So, on behalf of Groomer Dan, Bob, Judy and myself...a BIG helmets off to all of you for your support and for taking the time to email us, post messages and make us feel good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive