Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

BIG BIRD...A.K.A. HUMUNGUS TURKEY??

In the comments of previous post we have mentioned sandhill cranes which brings to mind a story.

We are blessed to NORMALLY have a flock (if they come in flocks) of sandhill cranes in the field across the road. And if you are familiar with cranes, you know the noise they make.

Anyway, this has happened more than once;

GUEST: I didn't know there were wild turkeys in the area.

ME: There are wild turkeys in the U.P. but we've never seen any in our immediate area. Where did you see them?

GUEST: Across the road and then I saw one fly over head.

ME: OH!!! Those are not turkeys. Those are sandhill cranes!

Then we normally talk about how difficult it would be to fix one in a normal size oven for Thanksgiving.

The first time I ever saw one fly overhead I was mowing grass so all I saw was this shadow going across in front of me on the ground. My first thought was "Pterodactyl??"

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE sandhill cranes and get so excited when we see one...but I love the blue herons even more. When we lived in Ishpeming, there was a trail right in the middle of town that had beaver dams and a wooded path on it that we would walk on all the time. Once, a blue heron was on the path and I got really close to it.They are HUGE! And once, two blue herons flew straight down the street in Michigamme!! (It is parallel to our lake).They must have been looking for real estate. ha
    I have never gotten close to a sandhill crane yet tho......can you get a close up picture for us and post it on your blog????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired One...I haven't seen a blue heron since the last time we headed downstate. And then we saw one at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky (which I did get a photo of...think I posted it with the rest of the photos last October/November).

    When we start seeing them in our area I will try to get a photo. Several years ago, I was walking Nick, the dearly departed Husky, on our nature trail. There was a sandhill crane IN the path and he/she would NOT let us any closer...which I did not want to be any closer anyway. He/she started stomping the feet and acting like it was going to charge us so we took off back the way we came!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive