Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, February 13, 2009

WORKIN' FOR THE WEEKEND

We’ve been up since the phone rang at, oh, I guess about 1:30 a.m.

This is President's Day weekend; usually a BIG 3 day weekend and busy on the trails....

I talked with Prez Bob last night and got the scoop on what was happening as far as grooming due to weather conditions. Bob was heading up # 45, the Falls Trail. As I’ve said before, Bob and Dan BOTH have a lot of aches and pains and Dan and I (and I’m sure Bob’s family) would like to see him sit back and let the younger, less pained guys do these runs. But, the less experienced operators haven’t had much chance to work with the type of snow conditions we’ve had this week and so with the complaints (local and otherwise) we’ve had that is why Bob felt HE should do this trail. It is the one that gets the heaviest traffic and we are headed into a 3 day weekend. We told Bob that Dan would do the run but he wanted to do it and see how the trail was. He said if he got to the other end and was just too banged up to continue, we’d get in touch with Dan so Dan could drive up to the Falls and trade places.

So when the phone rang about 1:30, we figured it was Bob…it wasn’t. It was Jerry, one of our mechanics. Dan has to go in as soon as Bob gets back with #11 and then Dan has to head up Trail # 9 because the groomer operator on that trail has a problem with the track on that groomer. Dan is very good at putting the tracks back on but Dan has a very bad back so now I can worry about HIM over doing it. He promises me he won’t….yeah, right.

The operator that is in # 10 has already been “dead in the water” for at least 2 hours now, if not longer. It will take Dan about another 6 to get there by groomer. Dave will just have to sit there and wait till Dan can get there. You may wonder why not go in by truck and rescue him…it sounds like he is partially off the trail with the groomer. I’m just guessing now, but maybe when he started having track issues it could have been due to soft snow and it pulled him off the trail and now he is stuck in the soft snow. So going up with a truck really isn’t an option (even if a truck could get back there). Not too many trucks have the “stuff” to pull out a groomer and the drag.

So, I am up! Packed Dan’s “lunch” and will ride to town with him because I need the truck this afternoon.

I haven’t had a chance to work on the other story that I thought I would have ready by today, but I most likely will have time later this morning because I sure as heck can’t go back to bed now! How many days till season is over???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive