Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

WHEN WILL IT END? WINTER JUST DOESN'T GIVE UP!

WHAT A TRIP!!!

Getting TO Manistique was a piece of cake, but getting OUT of Manistique to Escanaba the next morning was more like a piece of ice, coated with blowing snow and white out conditions.

Thursday night, while Dan was at the DAV meeting, I was in the motel room watching my favorite, NCIS I kept hearing this weird noise, like someone was trying to come in through the air conditioning unit, then it sounded like someone was on the roof…then there was this horrible WHOOSHING sound from the front of the motel room.

I finally got up and looked out the window and all I could see was WHITE. Just that fast the storm blew in. It howled all night long.

The next morning we could see it hadn’t really snowed that much; just a lot of blowing of snow. U.S. 2 was icy and snow covered in places, but we decided we’d still keep our appointment at Hilltop RV in Escanaba. I’m glad we were only about an hour away. Truly, the driving was not that bad, but it was the other idiots on the road! It was a whopping 7°.

When we arrived at Hilltop, they were very surprised to see us. They knew something WE didn’t know…part of M-28 had been closed! Dan and I figured it must have been between Munising and Marquette because THAT is always bad when it storms. We did find out later that was the section of M-28 that was closed, so that wouldn’t have affected our trip anyway.

We had our “walk through” of our 5th wheel; showing us how to do this, that and the other, what this button is for and all the little things that go along with owning a year old 5th wheel. Things have changed a lot since we had a 5th wheel back in the ‘80s. By the time we are able to bring it home (assuming the snow ever melts and we’ve got a place to park it!), we’ll need another walk through.

We managed to get back to Newberry about 4:00 p.m. and the roads weren’t too bad. It didn’t look like there had been too much snow. But when we got to our driveway, even with 4WD, Bubba, the truck, kind of bucked a bit about turning in and coming through the drift and road plowed, thrown snow at the end of the driveway. The steps to our deck were totally drifted to my knees (and I didn’t have my boots on). It was “interesting” picking out where those steps should be under all of that snow.

Dan spent the rest of the “afternoon” shoveling and doing some plowing. He called it a day about 7 p.m. because he had to leave at 2:30 a.m. to groom. Sometimes you wonder if getting away is really worth it!

I DID get a couple of shots of the lighthouse Thursday night, but the pier and the lighthouse was no longer covered in a build up of ice. That warm up a week or so ago must’ve taken care of that. We couldn’t walk out on the boardwalk because of the depth of the snow. If they are any good, I will put them up later this weekend.

This morning I need to concentrate what is left of my intelligence to get my new printer to talk to my new laptop. It wants to communicate wirelessly and I don’t want it set up that way. I thought it would be a simple matter of just hitting the print button and if the printer didn’t find a wireless connection that it would revert to plain old printing…not the case. I have to re-install the printer. I know that sounds very easy and it should be, but when it comes to re-installing ANYTHING, I always have bad luck! The info on the box says “You can be up and running within 10 minutes!” TIME WILL TELL ON THAT!

It was 8° above when Dan left at 2:30 a.m. I got up again (and stayed up) around 6:00 a.m….it was down to -6°. When Dan and I got up at 2:30, we had water in every faucet. By the time I got ready to take my shower, I didn’t have cold water in the shower nor either sink in the bathroom (kitchen was fine). So, I had to get the heat gun out and thaw the cold water pipe out before I could get in the shower. Right now we are -13°. (We’ve got so much snow stacked out here in front of the office that I can’t even see the sun coming up! Dan is running out of places to stack snow!).

So, if lack of cold water is the only thing that goes wrong today, I will be totally pleased.

I’m going to have some breakfast (already have the 3 trail reports done) and then start arguing with the laptop and printer….wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive