Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

WE GOTTA GET OUTTA THIS PLACE (even for a while!)

So far, so good. Just a dusting of snow. Our snow forecast has been taken down to 4-6” over night tonight.

Dan and I are planning a very short “get-away”. He has a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) meeting tonight in Manistique, which is about an hour west of us. Then tomorrow morning, we are supposed to have the truck in Escanaba at 10 a.m. to get the 5th wheel hitch installed. Escanaba is about another hour west of Manistique. So, IF THE WEATHER HOLDS OUT, we are going to leave for Manistique later this afternoon, spend the night and then head on over to Escanaba tomorrow morning, returning home sometime late Friday afternoon. Boy, doesn’t that sound like a lot of fun! HA! Hilltop RV will let us use a loaner vehicle while they spend 5 hours putting in the hitch.

I am hoping if this works out and the weather is half way decent and the wind isn’t blowing off from Lake Michigan (gotta be careful of my hives and breathing!), and the moon is in the 7th House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE I can get some shots of the lighthouse at the end of the pier at Manistique. Last time we were thru that area, the pier and the lighthouse was COVERED in ice.

We will be staying at a motel called Northshore Motor Inn, right on U.S. 2 (across from Lake Michigan). Dan and I have not yet met the owners, but I have been corresponding with Angie, one of the owners (her hubby is the other owner) via email. So, I want to give a plug for these people and their motel. Angie has been VERY responsive to my emails. I emailed a couple other motels in Manistique to see about rates, availability (the businesses in Manistique also depend on snowmobilers so hopefully they are busy), but Northshore was the only one we received a response from! And just from emailing back and forth, you can tell Angie and her hubby do care about their guests and prospective guests. So, if you ever find yourself in Manistique looking for a motel, consider a stay with them. Here is their website link; www.northshoremotorinn.com.

Hey, I see my Yooper Yarns has a new look with the “followers box”. THAT wasn’t there last night! I’ll have to check it out and see what is “new and improved”!

I’m not taking my lap top with me (assuming we DO go tonight), so there will be no posting, no emails, etc until probably Saturday.

Enjoy the day! Pray for LIGHT snow!

6 comments:

  1. Cathy, Did I miss something about you getting a 5th wheel? I thought you were still looking for one.

    Tom and I are on our way home from Arizona and I think we've decided to travel next winter with an RV. We don't want to stay in one place all winter. What kind of RV would be best for this kind of travel? We would probably be staying in each location for 1 -2 weeks. I want to get input from many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBW, I guess you DID miss something! Yep, about 2 weeks ago we took the plunge.
    There are photos and a story some place in this blog for February. I'm on my lap top tyring to type this response. I don't think I'll ever get use to this keyboard. Anyway, not sure if I still have your email address so send me one so I can tell you why we decided 5th wheel over anything else for our home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful little mini-vacation. Some times it feels good to "get out of Dodge" for a few days. Make sure if you get some shots of the lighthouse at the end of the pier at Manistique, to share them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, I'm planning on taking my high top winter boots in case I have to wade through snow to get that shot! Besides that, I don't want my toes to turn purple any more this winter!

    See you all Friday afternoon or Saturday sometime! I'M OUTTA HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drive safe. Looks like you guys may get it worse than us trolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DVM's wife...that will be tomorrow's story! WHAT a trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive