Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

A VIEW FROM EVERY WINDOW

I’m enjoying nice views from every Window! I’m even enjoying VISTA, so far.

At this point, I can’t see why most everyone seems so dead set against VISTA. Maybe it is because I haven’t drilled into the program deep enough to find out VISA’S dirty little secrets??

I LOVE all the little tweaks you can do to really personalize how your computer looks and works. I will admit though the first time I opened the new version of Word, I was a bit unsettled by it. It works with tabs and ribbons instead of the old familiar tool bars. But there is a quick access (or maybe it is called quick launch??) toolbar you can customize. For example, I use the envelope and labels button quite often so I was able to put that on the quick bar, as well as save, open a new folder, close and other items I use frequently.

The tabs will take some getting use to and it is hard to explain everything you wanted to know about tabs, but I bet if you were really interested you could go on line and check it out someplace. And connecting wirelessly has been a BREEZE for me so far! And I love the 2009 version of Norton (I may still put it on THIS old computer).

I just don’t have a good place to set the laptop where it is “ergonomically correct”. I already have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist which I need to be careful of how I position my wrist/hand for long periods of time.

Here is something I did not know; did you know that you should replace your surge protectors every two years?? I guess they can only take so many times of “surges” before they become unreliable. I didn’t have any spare ones so I had to purchase one locally and if you’ve been to Newberry, you know choices are limited. Ace Hardware had one that was 2160 Joules (I guess you should have at least 2000). It has 8 outlets and a phone jack. I think I paid $22.95 for it. I hate to see all those other outlets go to waste, but it isn’t convenient to put it where I can plug in my answering machine, phone, headset AND the laptop so the laptop has it’s own surge suppressor.

VISTA came loaded with a variety of games and I had purchased Scrabble in advance of getting the computer. I’m not a big computer game player, but VISTA does have Chess, which I enjoy playing. I thought I was pretty good at it till yesterday when I was quickly beaten by the computer.

On to the weather; I don’t think I told you that storm last week blessed us with about 20” of snow. Grand Marais received more than 2’ of snow. Dan spent Friday plowing us out again…and is running out of places to stack it! GOOD FOR SNOWMOBILING, SO COME ON UP! We’ve still got cabins and the Little Lodge will be available after 2/22/09.

3 comments:

  1. Cathie10:12 AM

    Cathie - I understand the unknown mystic of Vista. The copr I work for updated the computers and went to Vista. I guess I listed to the talk and was worried about working with Vista.

    The main points of difference I have came accross are the ribbons and saying ok to about everything you do - I've been told it's a security thing.

    Once I foung out that I could customize the ribbons, I have not had any problems.

    I am a creature of habit. I have worked on the old version of Microsoft that I knew were everything was and were to find it. Once I did customize my ribbons, I am back to being that creature of habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathie10:13 AM

    dahh - I guess I have not foung spell check. Sorry the errors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathie, don't worry about spelling! I've made quite a few errors when I post a comment too! I'm just glad you post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive