Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

THE SHINING (BLUE LIGHT)

Thoughts I had yesterday morning…

I have something fearful looking sitting on my other desk. I’m not quite sure how to approach it. Should I sneak up on it? Take the direct route? If I get in reach of it, will it snap at me or try to blind me with The Shining blue light? If I manage to get into this object and if I lay a hand on the innards of it, what will take place? Will I break something or mess something up beyond my intellectual capacity of repairing?

Gosh, I don’t know about this. I never thought I could feel so unsettled or so anxious of the unknown. I never would have thought something so innocuous just sitting there could send me into such a state.

I guess it is now or never….

I don’t need to worry about any Shining blue lights flashing into my eyes. Why?? Because I can’t even get this object open. It DOES open…I know it does. I saw it in the open position once! AH…THERE is the secret latch. OK, it is open, now what? There was a way to power this because I also saw this wonderful Shining blue light flashing in a couple of different places when it was open before. Gosh this is scary…this must be the power source, but where does it go?


This electrical cord that obviously plugs into an outlet but where does the other end of it plug into? What is this thing that looks like a little power pack with a speaker type plug on the end of it and another empty socket on the other end….OH!!! THIS must be what you plug the power cord into and then you plug that little end into this object. OK, so that all seems to work and so far I haven’t messed anything up. Now what?? There are no instructions with this thing. CRAP.

THAT IS how I was feeling yesterday morning about the new laptop. Dan was glad he had to leave to groom so he wouldn’t be here when I came unglued.

Seriously, I DID have a hard time figuring out the combination of plugging it in! I had a crash course where we purchased it the day before, but it didn’t sink in mainly because I was under the weather. Not much was sinking in (except I was concerned the City of Sault Ste. Marie might put a warrant out for our arrest…Dan had put money in the meter and the little red thing inside the meter broke off and fell down INSIDE the meter and was stuck there…we had all kinds of time on the meter, and so would the following people!). And when I say crash course that is exactly what it was. I knew I could figure the computer out, but the “finer points” were what I was concerned about; things like formatting CDs and DVDs. I hope I can return the DVD-RW’s to Wal-Mart and get just DVD-R’s. It takes 90 minutes to format a DVD! And we never did figure out how! Since they are going to be used for photos to send home, plain DVD-R’s will be OK.

And there were things to go over with about my OLD computer. For one thing I HAD been backing up my database incorrectly over the YEARS. I WAS treating my CD-RW as a CD-R, so while I WAS backing up the data, I was writing over the previous data every time I backed it up…which I don’t want to do. So between the crash course on the laptop and some VISTA pointers, then I had a crash course on the wireless printer…which I STILL don’t understand (it has to do with being connected to WiFi). After listening to the explanation of wireless printing and look at this green light vs this LITTLE green light and don’t go into some place like a bus terminal where they offer free WiFi because if you forgot to sign off your printer, and you went on this free Wifi, someone could print your documents PLUS get into your laptop…or something like that. Totally freaked me out and left me with a spinning head. I decided it would be a long day in hell before I would need to use my printer wirelessly…direct connection to the laptop works for me.

Then there were the usual warnings from the Guru who had set things up; “I’ve got your hard drive set to shut down after an hour of no activity and this is where I did it at, but DON’T go there” (he did it on my office computer too to try to help get some more time out of the old gal). A lot of it went in one ear and out the other.

I ended up buying a mouse (NOT wireless) in case I really don’t like the touch pad. And I bought an Ethernet cable in case I have trouble connecting wirelessly in my office.

Yesterday morning after the dishes were done, the teeth were brushed, the trail reports updated and Dan out the door, I DID work with the laptop. I was able to connect wirelessly OK, sent a few emails OK, downloaded my photo program (didn’t think I would like VISTA’s program) and explored VISTA a bit. I need to do some tweaking with the way Outlook is set up, and get my favorites put into IE7 (they were supposed to be transferred when my address book was transferred, but I see they were not). Aside from getting use to the touch pad, I am having a bit of difficulty with the layout of the keyboard, so that will take some time. MS Word 2007 is TOTALLY different than the MS Word 2002, so that will take some time to tweak it, etc.

Where I have the laptop sitting on the other desk is where we use to have another desktop set up (the monitor on the top of the desk, the keyboard in a slide out tray underneath the top of the desk, the computer on the floor under the desk). We use to have two desk top computers networked for our database/reservation system. Anyway, yesterday, I was exploring the new computer, using the mouse and when I felt the need to type something or use a shortcut, I would pull that tray out (where the OLD keyboard use to set) to get to the keyboard…only to go “DUH! It is ON the computer!”

There are 3 “holes” on the front of the computer case that I can’t identify what they are for, except one is for a headset. I haven’t tried to insert a CD or DVD into it yet; no reason to. I’ve got lots of exploring to do! And I’m sure that will lead to questions…and hopefully answers I understand!

(There was a lady in our neck of the woods that sent me an email a couple days ago about purchasing a card from Verizon…at least I think it was Verizon…she lives up by Deer Park. I told her I would write her back but I accidentally deleted the email. If you happen to be that person and are reading this, would you please email me again??)

8 comments:

  1. Are computers fun or what? I feel your pain and agony over trying to figure everything out. I won't even tell you how I thought I was supposed to set up my wireless internet. I wore a "here's your sign" on my face for days after.
    Thankfully my brother is a computer techy and saves my butt when thinks I'm worth saving.
    Enjoy your laptop. You'll have to get one of those laptop desk/pillows to go on your lap when you are sitting in a chair or couch or in bed. Much easier. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DVM's Wife...OK, I give, what does the "here's your sign" mean?

    I probably will get something to use to sit on the couch or in bed after while. I still need to get a good case for it. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Here's your sign" from Bill Engvall? Just google him or Youtube him, you'll understand then. I've mentioned him before on my blog.
    http://dvmswife.blogspot.com/2009/01/funny-man.html
    Hmmm, well what is in Newberry that would have office supplies. Just kidding. I have a neoprene sort of case/bag I picked up from Staples. Wallyworld has them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary Hookway, Battle Creek, MI5:56 PM

    My tech genius/nerd is in the Soo this weekend, he is also the video coordinartor for Western Mich. Univ. hockey team and they are playing there Fri/Sat nights.....Go Broncos !!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary Hookway, Battle Creek,MI6:00 PM

    Forgot to mention he's my younger son, so I get his "dad's discount" rate and free home game tickets too. Good luck with the new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DVM's wife...I saw a couple at Big Lots that were "lined" and looked quite "safe" to cart the laptop around in, but the zippers were broken.

    I recognized that name, Bill Engvall, but couldn't think why till I checked out the link you supplied. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary, How COOL for you! So you must be up here enjoying our fresh 15-18" of new snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gary Hookway, Battle Creek,MI5:40 PM

    Not me, my son...I only get to go to Western's home games (in K-zoo). Wish I was though, would sure beat pushing shopping carts at wally world.....lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive